corded drill

everyone by now probably has a battery powered drill and they are good
but i need some more power so i am looking for a corded hand held drill
what is the creme of the current crop
i think i should go half inch
On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 8:32:57 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

look for a Milwaukee Magnum. Make sure you get the side handle. Enough torque to do some serious damage if/when it catches.
On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 17:46:07 -0700 (PDT) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

yeah i learned how much torque they have once when drilling thru multiple studs
definitely did not use the trigger lock after that

I can vouch for the Milwaukee. Mine nearly tore my arm off at one time with the torque it kicks out.

Pfaugh. If you really want a drill with power, forget the Magnum and get one of Milwaukee's compact drills, like the 1660.
(you _do not_ hand-hold those drills when doing serious work. You thread a length of 3/4 pipe (*) into the hole provided on the drill body, and make sure it's securely braced against some convenient structure before you start.)
(* on the railroad, we always called a length of pipe used for leverage a "swedish extension". No idea why.)
John
On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 9:17:56 AM UTC-5, John McCoy wrote:

When I was a kid and noticed something was out-of-square, my gramps would say it was probably a Swedish carpenter. Not sure why they got a bad rap?
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 07:52:44 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa

My parents grew up in the UP of Michigan and Minnesota. Swedes were to that area what Polacks were to Chicago. The Poles bad rap lasted a bit longer.
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 07:52:44 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa

Up here it was a "dutchman"
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

FWIW, I needed to set some anchor ties a while back. I'd drilled that slab before with a half-inch cordless hammer drill and it was slow going. So this time I took a chance on a Harbor Fright SDS hammer and it went through the concrete like a drill press through balsa. Probably won't last too long but I doubt I'm going to drill a hundred more holes in concrete in the rest of my life and it was cheaper than renting one, so I'm happy.
On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 17:30:09 -0700, Electric Comet

The big Makiita is hard to beat for the $.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 15:36:11 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

And a good job he did!
carrying a cross.

I have mostly Milwaukee corded and cordless drills.
Milwakee Hole Hawg 1" Spline Drive D-handle right angle D-handle long reach (same as right angle) Several pistol grips 2 18V Cordless drill/screw/hammer
I do have a few other corded drills for in between stuff. SDS plus drive Makita Pistol Grip Makita Pistol Grip Rigid
They are all decent, and none of them were on the discount shelf.
For a drill I'd probably go Milwaukee as my first choice, just like Skill is my first choice for a worm drive saw.
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 16:34:49 -0700

will keep my eyes open for one milwaukee or makita

I have learned to always keep one corded drill around. That said, I couple years ago I was looking for a decent no-frills corded drill but wasn't finding anything in my cheap price range. A friend found a 'going-out-of-business' sale and picked up a DeWalt D21002 that he gifted me for xmas. It's a nice drill but I cannot use it for what I had intended as it does not have a trigger lock. It still sits new in the box. My friend was sorry. He just assumed they all had trigger locks these days and didn't think to look.
Anyway, I have a fair amount of DeWalt stuff (and other brands) and they seem to work really well for me.
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:32:17 -0400

my dewalt experience has been limited but not impressed with it
maybe they are better now but once burned twice shy or something like that
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 08:56:49 -0700, Electric Comet

Likely worse now than previously.