Copyright Law - NYT Link

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/25/magazine/25COPYRIGHT.html
Tom Watson wrote:

Yet another step towards eliminating our concept of freedom in the US.
* Free Speech * Reasonable Priced Speech * You Can't Afford to Say That Speech * Not Allowed to be Spoken Speech
Not quite the picture painted by the original draft.
--
Larry G. Laminger
http://woodworks.laminger.com

Anyone care to tell those of us who are not Web surfers what the gist of the article says?
Everett M. Greene wrote:

I just sent you a copy of the text from the NYT page.
College students came upon leaked or stolen documents and posted them on a web pag. The company they came from sued. Won the court battle but lost the publicity battle.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Digital Millenium Copyright act is all that in spades and more. It confers all rights to the copyright holder, nothing to the purchaser of anything subject to that act. Ed Foster's Infoworld gripeline is replete with examples of this law being applied to squelch innovation and the dissemination of information. Examples include the suppression of benchmarking results not officially sanctioned by the copyright holder and making e-bay yank the sales of Madonna CD's that were distributed with some brand of jeans sold by the Gap. Apparently the RIAA believes that it holds not only primary but any future rights to any item on which it holds a copyright. Another even more egregious example was upholding the rights of a printer manufacturer to prevent re-manufacturing of its ink cartridges based upon a claim that purchasers of the printers had accepted an end-user license agreement such that the printer manufacturer was the only entity from which they could purchase ink supplies.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I think I'd like to get to know y'all better.
Reply by email if you wish. <g>
-- Mark

Isn't the latter a violation of the shrink-wrap licensing laws? You can't be held to a contractual item about which you have no way of knowing at the time of purchase.
Gillette ("give `em the razor, sell `em the blades) could have a wonderful time today! Copyright the blade design and suppress any competition for blade sales.

If the "you" is me, it was never received.

@hotmail.com says...

Since NYT requires registration, care to give a short [fair use] synopsis?
Mark & Juanita wrote:

From another newsgroup:
user: helmsthingy password: photonic
HTH.
-- Mark <g>

As I stated earlier it's the Golden Rule: He Who Has The Gold Makes The Rules.
While it's true the DMCA is overbearing, the students did the wrong thing for the right reasons. In this case, they obtained the documents illegally and then published them illegally; while I agree with their sentiment, at the least they were foolish in their method. They should have sent copies to the press and let the press do their dirty work for them.
--
McQualude