Convert TV to Stand

Hello,

I've got an old 61" Sony TV I've been trying to fix for the past month. Looks like the end of the road - two of the picture tubes are shorted out. It's OK, we watched it for 14 years, it doesn't owe us any money.

The dead TV is big - it weighs about 200 pounds. I had to pay piano movers to bring it into my house when we moved. Now I have to pay somebody to haul it out. And I have to buy a stand for the new TV. They ain't cheap.

Then I had an idea - the old TV is not only electronics, it's also a decent piece of furniture. Why not yank all the electronics, cut it down and make a stand out of it? The hard stuff - the substructure and wheels

- is already done. I would cut the sides at about 20 inches from the floor, pop the top off and refasten it to the sides. There would surely be enough wood left to put in an internal shelf or two for equipment.

It's not the nicest wood - veneer-coated particle board, painted black. And I will have to cut the sides down with a circular saw. I figure I'll clamp a guide so I can just run the saw along it - first just a sixteenth of an inch deep to cut cleanly through the veneer.

Anybody done anything like this?

- Jerry Kaidor

Reply to
jerry

Because it would look like crap?

Reply to
Toller

My dad couldn't throw anything away either. :) The "storage unit" is in his basement. Fortunately, it was never under direct light. I think all of the jars from the baby-food I ate are storing nuts and screws in the garage too. Did I mention that you can make funnels from plastic milk and orange juice containers?--and the other end gives you something to grow plants in. You only get at most one dad though and my dad was an artist with an imagination. I am sorry to say that he passed away two months ago.

Peace, Bill

Reply to
Bill

"You might be a Redneck if you have a working TV sitting on a non working TV" :)

regards John

Reply to
John B

I made my own TV bracket from 2x4s, total cost about $10. Then I built a series of curved wall-mounted shelves underneath to hold equipment. The back part of the shelves was left open for cord management. An old piece of furniture will work too--make sure there is enough ventilation.

Reply to
Phisherman

Do it.

I made a 'front loading toy chest' years ago from a 25" console TV for my

2-year-old. Twelve years later it's still in his closet holding the latest assortment of what he's into. My wife was instantly pleased at how much could be stuffed in there, and it still keeps down the scattering.

If you don't like the results, you're out what - a couple of hours enjoying making sawdust? Small price to pay. There will also likely be some goodies to play with - 3 nice lenses and some plexiglas screens, of which one may be polarized (I'm presuming projection TV). Plus, you already know what the finish looks like - if you can look at it for 14 years, it can't be that bad.... :) If all else fails, it'll be light enough after you gut it that you can junk it without help. Leave it unplugged long enough for the capacitors to discharge before you start!

The lower height makes sense. As it is, it's probably thin compared to the height, and would tend to be top-heavy. It's a big footprint so make sure it's tall enough to be usable without just being in the way.

(-- Bill - Thanks for your comment, I hope to be remembered in the same way.)

My dad couldn't throw anything away either. :) The "storage unit" is in his basement. Fortunately, it was never under direct light. I think all of the jars from the baby-food I ate are storing nuts and screws in the garage too. Did I mention that you can make funnels from plastic milk and orange juice containers?--and the other end gives you something to grow plants in. You only get at most one dad though and my dad was an artist with an imagination. I am sorry to say that he passed away two months ago.

Peace, Bill

Reply to
<Joe

Did'ja ever hear Jeff Foxworthy...? "If your new TV ... sits on top of your OLD TV, then you MIGHT be a redneck"

Unless it's made of good wood, which it aint, then toss it. If you're wanting to build a new TV stand, then build one out of real "tree wood" as my hubby calls it.

Can you post a photo to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking of the cabinet? I'd kind of like to see it.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

what he's into. My wife was instantly pleased at how much could be stuffed in there, and it still keeps down the scattering.

making sawdust? Small price to pay. There will also likely be some goodies to play with - 3 nice lenses and some plexiglas screens, of which one may be polarized (I'm presuming projection TV).

*** 61" rear-projection. There is a full-size sheet of 1/8" plexiglas, a mint-condition 61" Fresnel lens, a BOATLOAD of nice electronic parts ( Set was made in 1993, stuff was not quite as specialized then as now, the parts have actual wire leads ). And I have the service manual, so I know what all the parts are.

Plus, you already know what the finish looks like - if you can look at it for 14 years, it can't be that bad.... :) If all else fails, it'll be light enough after you gut it that you can junk it without help. Leave it unplugged long enough for the capacitors to discharge before you start!

*** They discharge in about 10 seconds. It was a VERY well-designed TV.

height, and would tend to be top-heavy. It's a big footprint so make sure it's tall enough to be usable without just being in the way.

*** It's quite stable, because the rear wheels are on an extension behind. I chose the height by researching the height of current stands for the latest generation of TV sets, specifically the stand that Sony makes for the set I intend to buy. The new sets are a lot lighter than the older ones were. 100 pounds instead of 300.

There is a pair of small bass-reflex speaker boxes built into the bottom, which I shall probably have to remove, because I need the space for equipment. If I can get at least 4 standard-size electronic items in there ( Sat receiver, DVD player, Audio receiver ) I can eliminate the free standing equipment rack over there in the corner.

- Jerry Kaidor

Reply to
jerry

Yup. I'm a big believer in "Make-do Engineering." ;-) One of the workbenches in my shop is built on two pedestals screwed together from a desk someone threw away. It's been working fine for 5 years and should go another 50 no problem. I *love* making useful stuff from other peoples' discards. Even if I hit the lottery I'll still be a dumpster-diver.

My wife keeps my "engineering" in check, though. One of our lawn chairs broke its back. I wanted to cut off the back and screw a piece of PT plywood on the seat to make a table. She nixed the idea. ;-) Something about being "Too ugly to vomit."

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Most of here ARE Dads. A remembrance, even if for just a minor personality quirk, is something to look forward to. My Dad and I fought like cats & dogs for years. I'll miss him when he goes.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

Well, i guess I didn't need to eat the rest of my breakfast anyways.

;-)

Reply to
BillinDetroit

2:44 pm and you're thinking about breakfast? You must be a computer programmer. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Pretty much ;-) Work on pens & such all day, study for my ministry all night. Work on the website and sleep in my spare time.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit