Conv to 220?

Page 4 of 4

"Here are the instructions from Jennair:
'The neutral of this unit is grounded to the frame through the green grounding wire.'"
So exactly how did I contradict the instructions?

Convenient snip, toller. Here's the *full* quote, which demonstrates clearly that you *did* do exactly what I *said* you did:
Here are the instructions from Jennair:
"The neutral of this unit is grounded to the frame through the green grounding wire. If used on new branch-circuit installations (1996 NEC), mobile homes, recreational vehicles, or in an area where local codes prohibit grounding through the neutral conductor, untwist or disconnect the green wire and connect the green wire to ground in accordance with local code. Connect the white neutral to the service neutral."

When you told him "the green wire has to be attached to the neutral".
Read the next to last sentence of the manufacturer's instructions: "...connect the green wire to ground..."
--
Regards,

I was quite correct, which I presume you are smart enough to know; but are just too big an ass to admit. What on earth motivates you to act like this?

The metal flex conduit that he described in the first sentence of the original post.

Obviously you were not.

I'm certainly smart enough to know the difference between neutral and ground. And I'll never admit that you were right here, because you *clearly* are totally wrong. *Read* the thread, for crying out loud: the instructions the guy quoted say clearly to connect the green wire to ground, and you told him just as clearly to connect it to the circuit neutral. How can you possibly think even for a moment that you were right?

It's really very simple, troller: the electrical "advice" you give is incorrect and dangerous. You don't have the first idea what the hell you're talking about. You know just enough about it to sound knowledgeable to someone who knows less about it than you do, but most of what you say is just flat wrong (like the instance we're discussing right now) - and a lot of it is downright dangerous. My motivation is to keep other people from getting injured or killed by following your incorrect and dangerous "advice".
--
Regards,

I can't imagine what you are like in person.

Me??? Time after time, I and others have pointed out the oftentimes dangerous flaws in your electrical advice, and yet you keep going, remaining under the delusion that you actually know what you're talking about, despite abundant evidence to the contrary.
No, I'm not going to give up. As long as you keep posting incorrect and dangerous answers to electrical questions (like the one discussed above), I'm going to keep pointing out that your answers are incorrect and dangerous.
If you don't like that, the solution is simple: stop posting incorrect and dangerous electrical advice.

I don't have any more patience for fools in person than I have online. :-)
I don't have it in for you personally, toller. You may have noticed (since you haven't *really* killfiled me as you claim) that I've given you some helpful and polite answers to your woodworking questions here, and to a couple of your plumbing questions in a.h.r.
The *only* area where I have a problem with you is electrical questions: you DO NOT know enough to be competent to answer them safely. If you were giving bad advice on, say, painting, I'd laugh at you a time or two, and leave it at that, because no real harm could possibly result. Electricity is different: it's dangerous if mishandled, and bad electrical advice can kill people.
Sadly, you appear ignorant of *both* of those concepts.
--
Regards,
On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:20:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Dear god, tell me he didn't. And here I thought (for a picosecond) that maybe I was being a little insensitive to him.
For those who don't know, the multiwire branch circuit is like a 240V circuit with a neutral which functions as two 120V circuits with a common neutral. A duplex 240V breaker is required since the concept of the common neutral is that the return currents of the two circuits being fed 180 out of phase (by virtue of the duplex 240V breaker) are in turn 180 out of phase and thus cancel. They can never sum to more than the capacity of one leg of the breaker, regardless of any imbalance of loads on the two branches, consequently the neutral is safe insofar as its current carrying is concerned.
To attempt to wire that circuit from a duplex 120V breaker means that both hots are of the same phase, and thus the return currents are additive, equalling as much as TWICE the breaker current (depending on the total load), and obviously much greater than the ampacity of the neutral wire.
And you guys think we're bitchslapping him just for amusement.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Yes, he did - because he thought that the "1 pole duplex" breaker that the OP in the thread referred to, was a 240V breaker. Whether the mistake was due to inattention, ignorance, malice, stupidity, or a combination thereof is impossible to tell, but there it is.
Google alt.home.repair for the phrase "duplex breaker" on 14 May 2005 for all the gory details.

--
Regards,