Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on the horizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

Page 1 of 3
advance notice of proposed rulemaking for performance requirements to address table saw blade contact injuries.
September 14, 2011
http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA11/brief/tablesaw.pdf
Add pictures here
βœ–
So, there will be a sudden growth in machinery sales outlets in Canada & Mexico, just near border crossing points. Grizzly, Jet, etc will set up some large warehouses nearby, improving employment in those 'foreign' areas too. Wonder if they can get a "foreign aid' grant as well?
As well, existing saws will go up in value, even old junkers will be worth refurbishing.
regards Bruce

βœ–
Funny the document discusses all kinds of incidents from table saws then ends up focusing on Saw Stop which addresses only contact with blade accidents. Wot a surprise!
This may be a good thing but no surprise that a particular manufacturer is driving it.
------------ "Mike Paulsen" wrote in message
advance notice of proposed rulemaking for performance requirements to address table saw blade contact injuries.
September 14, 2011
http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA11/brief/tablesaw.pdf
Add pictures here
βœ–

"A. Background On April 15, 2003, Stephen Gass, David Fanning, and James Fulmer, et al. (“petitioners”) requested that we require performance standards for a system to reduce or prevent injuries from contact with the blade of a table saw."
I wonder how much Stephed Gass (SawStop's inventor, BTW) has contributed to Obama's re-election campaign.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sep 29, 9:28 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Billions.
That's not how it works. The guy has a new and improved mouse trap, he's a lawyer and he knows how to work the system.
If you or I came up with a new and improved mouse trap that's related to safety, has potentially many millions in sales, and we stuck with it for many years, we could have our own legislation, too. ;)
βœ–
On 9/29/2011 9:28 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Probably as much as all of the other "inventors" who have coerced the government into making their devices safety requirements.
I am waiting for the government to required the little plastic "save a deers life alerts" to be required on all cars because of the number of deer accidents.
If you invent something the best way to make it pay is to say it is a safety device and pay off government workers in a regulatory agency to get it to be made a required safety device on something.
Add pictures here
βœ–

For instance?

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/29/11 11:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Al Gore.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–

"Safety requirement(s)"? ...but your point is taken.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/29/11 11:43 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yes, all that silly "cap & trade (tax)" and other government "emissions" mandates are for our collective "safety."
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
On 9/29/2011 7:28 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I realize that table saws are inherently dangerous. But I wonder how many injuries (needing something more than a band-aid) there actually are per man-hour of use. Is this an area where the country really needs government control?
Add pictures here
βœ–

FWIG, it's not infinitesimal, but you're right. It's none of government's damned business.
Add pictures here
βœ–

They require ground fault interruptors, really good grounding and a host of other safety-related things. Why not this? I agree, it looks like it should be personal option, but I'd like to get a discount on my medical insurance for having a sawstop ... (Which I don't have (yet))
--
Best regards
Han

The federal government does no such thing! If you find an insurance carrier that gives a discount for a SawStop, or for that matter a flat roof, who cares?! Your choice and theirs.
I wouldn't buy a SawStop! didn't
Add pictures here
βœ–

Our workman's comp carrier is strongly recommending them. I don't know if they discount rates though, since we have no saws at work.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Great. Have at it. I much prefer my Unisaur, at less than half the price.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Great. Have at it. I much prefer my Unisaur, at less than half the price. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- When they offer a saw stop with a 5 HP motor and a 12 or 14 inch blade, I'll be listening.
-- Jim in NC
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/29/11 12:52 PM, Han wrote:

tools, so I am pretty sure I wouldn't get a discount. Don't really need health insurance in Canada, so I don't know about it being on the list of questions.
--
Froz...

βœ–
On 9/29/2011 12:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I agree. But what surprises me is that health care providers haven't tried to make it their business. Someone who uses sharp tools is probably more likely to be cut by one than someone who doesn't own any. Reminiscent of Bill Clinton, if any one asks, "When I saw I don't use a TS--and if I do, I leave it unplugged!".
Add pictures here
βœ–

How about that bicycle in your garage? Skis? Is your garage messy? Is your lawn as smooth as a putting green? <good grief>
Add pictures here
βœ–