Congratulations, folks!

Page 2 of 3

writes:

He who used to be BAD, is who now?

Go up a couple in the thread. Now known as "David".
scott
Dave Balderstone wrote:

This election is pretty important to both sides, so people are talking about it. So what? Just ignore what you don't want to read and enjoy the stuff you do want to read. Think quality, not quantity.
-- -linux_lad To verify that this post isn't forged, click here: http://www.spoofproof.org/verify.php?sig=9bb75f4517338b3e025867bc01be25
I tend to agree. If your filter caught the 50%, other than as a statistic, what's the big deal? Then to follow with "see you in 2005" which apparently means you won't be posting, etc. for a bit also doesn't make sense.
This is the INTERNET way folks. Is now, has been and will be forever. You have to deal with the trolls, etc. as you see fit. Personally, I don't mind wading through a bit of crap to get to some of the more interesting threads on the wreck.
If you don't let it get to you and just hit the delete key, you'll feel a whole lot better.
Of course, as always, this is just MHO,
Vic

The number of interesting threads is declining rapidly...

But ya just can't help yourself, can ya?
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:37:49 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Then why not just go and BUILD something?!! lol
Have a nice one...
Trent

Lad, somehow you must of missed the bit of my post where I used the word "filters".

In about 6 hours since you posted this thread, there are 22 responses on my machine (I'm pretty frequent with the PLONK) there may be more for other folks... and 6 of them are from you. So, you made a major contribution to the crap you complained about. Thought you were leaving?
Jack

Where I did I say that?
Might want to change that to 2006. Because on Nov.3,2004 who ever lost will be bitching that they got screwed.
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:59:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (O D) wrote:

And they'll wait for the Supreme Court to rule on Colorado.
Have a nice one...
Trent

If they're being caught by the filters, what's the big deal?
todd

Who made a big deal out of it?
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:56:03 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Just counted for the last couple of days - 420 essentially on-topic posts, 80 political or obscene. That works out to about 19%.
The S/N ratio in here is still pretty good.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Dave, I'd say that many more people reading your post agree with your sentiment than disagree but that's probably not true since most wreckers interested in discussing woodworking have moved on to greener pastures.

I don't see it improving period. Usenet was a great experiment but it's time has come and gone. As sad as it is, r.w. is pretty good relative to other groups but it's catching up pretty fast.
Cheers, Mike
On 12 Oct 2004 16:19:51 -0700, half snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) wrote:

You might try joining a moderated mail group, Mike. I think they're the wave of the future. There's almost instantaneous response...and the unwanteds simply get booted.
Have a nice one...
Trent
(Mike) wrote:

<Lots of stuff snipped>
I participate in a few other woodworking discussion groups that are quasi-moderated. By that I mean, when a discussion degrades to pointless bickering (or well-before that stage), one of the moderators asks them to cool it and that is usually enough. If people in here would stop responding to the FL Patriot troll, the noise level in here would drop drastically. Extend that practice to avoid Tom W.'s on-line breakdown and the noise would be _very_ tolerable.

Thanks, trying my best.
Cheers, Mike

Hmm! I like that idea. I think I'll start one called "rec.woodworking.all-ages". :)