reserved volume file into my posts

Someone was talking about septic system cleaning frequency but I cannot find it

Everything I have ever read about septic systems and trust me it was a lot

Every source says it should not be more often than every three years or something has gone wrong

Tree root. Drain field. Etc

One year I had to empty it every other day til we figured out a hinge was broken and toilet was dumping more water than it was supposed to

bigger problem was

You can?t run grey water into septic. You can?t run grey water into outdoor sump. What are you supposed to do?

Confusing regulations

mk5000

They ain't feed me nothin' but the crumbs They ain't leave me with nothin' but scars Please believe me and trust me it was hard Hit my knees and I looked up to God==Derez De?Shon on Thank Da Streets

Reply to
marika

Quite wrong. All of it.

Plenty of sources say empty it more often than every three years. For example

and

and

There are others.

Frequency of emptying depends on several factors, particularly how big the tank is and how many people live in the property that feeds it. The purpose of emptying is to remove the sludge of non-digestible sediment that builds up in the bottom of the tank. Too much sludge reduces the working volume of the tank and causes partially digested waste to overflow into the drain field or soakaway, eventually blocking it.

Septic tanks take grey water, no problems. Mine took grey water for the twenty years we lived in the property, and for at least four decades before that. What you shouldn't do is let rainwater from the roof run into a septic tank - that should have a separate soakaway. Do you actually know what 'grey water' is? Are you confusing grey water with rainwater?

Even with a leaking toilet flush (assuming that's what you meant by 'a hinge was broken', otherwise I can't see what a hinge has got to do with it), the septic tank shouldn't have needed emptying 'every other day'. It should simply overflow into the drain field. There was something seriously wrong with your tank. It sounds like your drain field was seriously compromised.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

There was an impressive amount of misinformation in that one post, all the way from the subject line to the end. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

After I'd posted, I noticed the time she'd posted - 5 Feb 2022

19:48:17 -0800 (PST) - Pacific Standard Time - so she's probably an ex-colonial. No doubt they have different regs over there, but she needs to be aware this is a UK group.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

Speaking of plumbing leaks this is a nifty innovation

m syadoz