Compressor/Nailer Advice

Page 2 of 2

Swingman wrote:
<<Like framers around these parts no longer use Senco ... they've all gone to Hitachi. There is a van based industry around here that makes the rounds of construction sites selling nails and repairing compressors and nail guns on-the-spot ... the guy that was in front of one of my sites told me yesterday that he hasn't seen a Senco on a framing crew in a while.
times change ...<<
Not around here either. Almost everyone here in San Antonio uses Hitachi and just a few other odds and ends. The only reason I am so heavily invested in Bostitch is that like in the old days, they will replace any soft parts free because I am buying my nails and guns from them. They only come about once a quarter though, so when the guy comes in from Houston he spends a long day here repairing everyone's guns out in the back of the lumberyard where I get my nails.
I'll bet you remember Swingman that back in the 70s, it was only DuoFast and Spotnails in the field. We saved for months to get our first nail gun (even then the framer was $495 + tax), and it was a Spotnails since we couldn't afford a DuoFast. At that time, if you bought nails and oil from the one of the two local suppliers, they gave you ALL the parts you needed free (except the driver) if you would buy a case or two of nails and staples when you needed a repair. They came around in an old converted mail van (one of those big old box jobs like they deliver bread in) and they had everything they needed in there.
I don't know of anyone that uses DuoFast anymore for anything since they have gone the Taiwanese route like the others, and I think Spotnails is out of business except for a few items here and there. For that matter, we only have two different companies here that actually go out to the jobsite to peddle nails and oil, and they have no way to repair guns. You still have to drive to the broken gun to their shop and leave it.
Here's something nasty about the lumberyard guns: the DeWalt guys that repair the DeWalt guns have a $65 bench fee for any gun that is not under warranty. So if you just need a seal, you will buy the full seal kit (probably around $18 - $25) and then pay the $65 for the 15 minutes it took to put them in. Ouch.
I have no idea what happens if you buy a Ridgid gun, or a DuoFast. I can only imagine something similar.
Robert
Talked to a guy at Seven Corners Hardware in St. Paul, MN tonight. He recommended the Dewalt D55155 compressor over PC pancake compressors. He also recommended the Hitachi finish and brad nailers. He said Dewalt, PC, etc. are all made by the same company. They see too many problems. Hitachi and Senco are the way to go. He just liked the Hitachi products more. Another contractor supply store recommende the Hitachi as well.
So as of right now, my package would include:
Dewalt D55155 compressor Milton Flex hose, 1/4" Hitachi 15 gauge finish nailer Hitachi 18 gauge brad nailer
Unfortunately, none of this stuff will ever be on sale. But I have a month or so before I will be forced to purchase. I'll keep my eyes open for any deals. 7 Corners hardware is priced the same as Amazon, Home Depot, and others. Advantage is they service everything they sell. I will have to put money in the hands of the local guys, I think.
Check them out:
www.7corners.com
Lefty: you may be just fine with the DeWalt compressor. A few years ago they bought one of the finest compressor companies (to me anyway) we ever had in the states, named Emglo.
They made great little and big construction type compressors that ran and ran without any sign of problems. For a while, when you bought the DeWalt compressors that were the same style of the Emglo, it was indeed an Emglo.
As for buying local.... you bet I would. One of these things breaks, and you can be on your own pretty easily.
Robert
The small, oil-free Ridgid compressor looks good. It has a LOT of power; enough to even satisfy some HVLP sprayer specs.
Mike
You are going to need more than one gun.
(1) 15 gauge for "long nails" for baseboard. (2) 16 gauge for the smaller stuff (3) 1/4" crown stapler that shoots a 1.5" (4) 18 gauge brad nailer 1 1/4" (5) A pin nailer is on my wish list (6) framing nailer for larger stuff (7) palm nailer for weird stuff
I consider 1-4 the basic setup.
I have the Porter Cable pancake and all of the above guns in Porter Cable.