Need a little advice on buying a finish nailer

I need to buy a finish nailer to put up the trim in my house. What is the difference between 15 and 16 gauge (besides 1)? Also, why angled over not angled or vice versa? I was thinking Bostich ~150$.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Angled helps you get in corners or tight places. One difference I noticed while working with my brother. My Bostitch (several years old) would keep firing when the nails ran out. It is hard to tell where they stopped because it still makes a dimple in the wood. His, a Ridgid I believe, locks when the nails run out, forcing you to reload. A small difference, but makes your day easier. Of course the new Bostitch may have this feature now.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I've has a Bostitch 1664 fn that I picked up on E-Bay about 6 months ago and I'm very happy with it - used mostly for oak.

HTH Bill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
Digger

15 gauge is a little larger (diameter) nail. I'd go with the 15 and if you need something smaller pick up a brad nailer or pinner. We've always used angled guns on the job so I can't compare them.

Mike O

Reply to
Mike O.

Whilst we are on the subject, anybody know who carries 15 ga 3/4" PC compatible nails? querulous, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

jo4hn wrote in news:13eeo4rp8sb6g12 @news.supernews.com:

I got some either at Rockler or at the Orange Borg, IIRC. If that helps at all...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Adjustable depth control! Essential

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Thank you all. So, adjustable depth, angled, and stop when empty are features I should look for. Any preference on brand names? Am I OK in the $100-150 range? Maybe used?

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

For one houseful of trim, sure. For long term use continual use, not so much. You're the one who knows that, not I... :)

I have Bostitch, been satisfied after 7-8 years of heavy when using, but intermittent schedule, use. Probably 1 year equivalent full-time use, realistically.

Don't know about used unless can find another homeowner w/ a one-job use similar to yours who wants to unload it afterwards. If a pro is unloading one I'd expect it to be worn out or have some other reason for not wanting it any longer to be far more likely. I have had reasonable success w/ factory refurbs for a little cost savings, though.

There are those who swear by HF cheapies for the purpose, too, but no experience here to go on...

--

Reply to
dpb

I've looked in the Blue and Orange Borgs. The ones around here (Sam Berdoo) carry them down to about 1 1/4" but no shorter. Same with HF. sigh

Reply to
jo4hn

What's the availability of nails?

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

I have a HF narrow crown stapler and a 16 ga nailer. Both work well in occasional use. zarp, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I also have one of each HF. I pretty much hate them.

My next gun will have a quick jam clear latch holding the front plate of the nailer on. Remove the air, pop the latch and clear the jam. The hex bolts take forever to loosen and clear a jam. I didn't know there was a stop when out of nails feature. This feature would be at the top of my list too.

I have used my fathers Bammer. Man it is sweet and no hose/tank to worry about but it is heavy.

Reply to
Oughtsix

I use 15, 16, and 18 ga. nailers to install trim. No one gun can do it all.

The 18 ga. is used for jamb extensions, stop moldings, 1/4 rounds, shoe, and base in 3 piece baseboards, and occasionally at the thin side of smaller moldings. A 15 ga. gun will kill these parts.

For painted grade trim, fixing door jambs, windows and sills /stools in place, the s4s component of three piece base, and single piece base, I use the 15 ga. On stain grade work, I try to hide the large holes with smaller moldings as much as I can.

For stain grade trim that's too big for 18 ga. brads, 95% of my visible fastening is with a 16 ga. tool, as it leaves a much smaller hole to fill. Only when I absolutely have to boss a part into place will I put

15 ga. holes in the visible face of hardwood trim. If someone tells you this is OK, ask them if they apply their own finishes, or if a finisher follows them. If it's the latter, ask if they get along with the finisher.

If you only have the budget for one, I suggest choosing the one you'll use the most, and doing the rest with a hammer.

Most of my nail guns have come from eBay, as it's easy to find the guns that are included free with compressors rather cheaply. For instance, two weeks ago, I bought another PC FN250B, brand new out of a combo kit, for $50, compared with $150 for the gun purchased alone. The only gun I've ever paid full retail for was my Senco 15 ga.

Have fun!

Reply to
B A R R Y