Complexity of dyes in kitchen cabinets

Page 4 of 4

I'll give a contractor the opportunity to re-bid, _when_ it is obvious they have 'missed something' on the submission. Doesn't happen very often, but I do want 'apples-to-apples' comparison of what they believe is needed. Usually, when I got something 'out-of-line' low, it was that bidder wasn't including something that the others -were-. Discussion would usually establish that they didn't believe that -that- item needed work/replacement, whereupon I'd ask for a quote as an 'add-on' in case I wanted it done 'anyway'.
Had a really funny situation in this respect a number of years ago -- Needed to replace 'a furnace' in the house, it had failed during an extremely cold spell in the winter. Now, as it happened, the house had two complete heating/cooling systems, one each for two separate 'zones' (an artifact of a _major_ add-on, some years previous).
Did have to make it clear to the companies that this was _NOT_ an 'emergency' situation, that we were soliciting competing bids, _and_ that they could/should schedule this job _after_ any 'emergency' calls. (We figured out, 'after the fact', that the furnace in question had probably died a good two weeks before we placed the initial service call. Took a while to 'penetrate consciousness' that the 'other furnace' was running almost constantly.)
Got quotes from several reputable firms, sat down to review them, and 'make a decision' -- ended up calling *all* the bidders back and asking "why are quoting a unit over 2-1/2 times the size of the one that is being replaced?"" None of the estimators had noticed the 'other furnace' on the other side of the basement, _or_ checked the 'plate' on the dead unit. "Assumed" it did the whole house, and sized by eyeball, accordingly. (The estimators were =good=, the units they quoted were very close to the combined capacity of both the existing units.)
Second round of bids came in with _much_ lower numbers. <grin>
Turned out they _couldn't_ quote the 'same size 'unit as the one being replaced -- *nobody* made one that _small_ any more -- but could get something rated only about 20% larger.

and then call them right away! They must have some special deal cut with someone because of their volume". -------------------------------------- Robert, you silver tongued devil you.
Lew

That's a great attitude and practice that I'm sure has and will serve you well.
BTW, most of my clients are my friends and became friends sort of because we're all smart asses. If I get all serious on them, that's when they think I'm trying to rip them off. :-)
--

-MIKE-