complaints on hf glue

Page 1 of 3
never read the reviews on the hf wood glue but others have also complained about the bottle
if they can put the glue in a tube like a toothpaste tube they will have a good product there for smaller jobs
still have not seen how the glue looks when using a clear coat
titebond has a yellowish look
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 9:32:13 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

I've always asssumed you're not supposed to see any glue or glue lines on a finished project. At least, that's the results I strive for.
Sonny

Agreed. For two reasons - one being aesthetics, the other being a visible glue line represents a weak joint (the exception being with epoxy, where you actually do want to see a glue line).
Apropos of the HF wood glue, judging by the Comet's comments on it's texture and appearance, and the fact HF describes it as "acrylic", I'm guessing it's actually adhesive for engineered wood floors.
I looked for the MSDS for the glue (you can often get hints of the actual manufacturer that way), but HF doesn't put them on-line. Perhaps next time Electric Comet is in HF he can ask for one (I beleive they are required by law to supply the MSDS on request).
John
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

The actual manufacturer is probably the Happy-Lucky Glue Company or some such and the only information you're likely to find that isn't from Harbor Freight will be in Chinese.

On 4/28/2016 6:01 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

[snip]

Probably is the Happy-Lucky Glue Company. Just his luck that they happened to get a bad batch of dissidents in that last batch the government gave them. :(

It appears to be pretty harmless stuff.
http://www.titebond.com/ProductMSDSSearchCO.php?Frames=Y&B1=Submit&MSDS_Prod d40b45-0ab3-49f7-8a9c-b53970f736af

Why do you beleive Franklin International is the manufacturer of Harbor Freight's glue? I hadn't seen that, is it noted somewhere that I missed?
John

It's in the actual HF URL: titebond-iii-ultimate-wood-glue
http://www.harborfreight.com/titebond-iii-ultimate-wood-glue-8-oz-91768.html

A URL means zip. They coulda put "zombie-proof" in the URL and it still woulda meant nada. The telling feature I see is, HF glue admits to being an "acrylic base", while relegating other glues to "polyurethane" based.
I tried digging down, but I flunked chemistry. 8|
nb

Try telling that to Trademark holders. I think they would *strongly* disagree.
How long do you think Dewalt would allow HF this infringement?
dewalt-709-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw
to point to their cheap SCMS
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-system-61969.html

I think it's more likely that the trademark holder hasn't noticed yet, than that the glue is actually Titebond. The only place "titebond" appears is in the URL, they don't reference anywhere on the actual page (which says the brand is "HFT").
Compare with their page for Gorilla Glue, which uses the actual Gorilla Glue name and logo, and does not say the brand is "HFT".
John

HF has been using that "titebond-iii-ultimate-wood-glue" URL for almost 5 years: Sep 20, 2011
http://web.archive.org/web/20110920202334/http://www.harborfreight.com/titebond-iii-ultimate-wood-glue-8-oz-91768.html
On 4/28/2016 11:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

So that if you are actually looking for TB III a search engine will include the HF crap. It is a redirect ploy.

You'd think that would indeed be the reason. If it was, it is an EPIC failure because if you Google "titebond iii ultimate wood glue" or just "titebond iii" , either with or without the quotes, I don't think you'll see a single HF link.
On 4/28/2016 2:05 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

No but I googled Titebond iii glue and actually did see a link to a web site that offered other adhesives but no Titebond iii.
I got this as second suggestion
http://www.caulkyourhome.com/products.php?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=General_Colored_Broad&utm_term=white%20caulk&utm_campaign=National_Colored_Caulk&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=National_Colored_Caulk&utm_term=white%20caulk&utm_content=General_Colored_Broad
and this
http://www.mscdirect.com/products/loctite?rdrct=Loctite&002 !67518&0041993172&005552929246&006465880692&009=b&011=titebond%20iii%20glue&025=c&cid=ppc-bing-Suppliers%20-%20Fasteners%20&%20Adhesives_Cvq8K5du_lock%20tight%20glue_b_12465880692_c&mkwid=Cvq8K5du&pcrid465880692
and this
http://www.staples.com/Dot+Shot/directory_Dot+Shot?cid=PS:MS:SBD:MS:B:13:46119:dot_shot_pro_glue:164978
Search engines will focus on all or any one word in the search description. If you put in glue or adhesive along with titebond III you get lots of other hits.
With adhesive instead of glue I got this at the top.
https://www.mydenturecare.com/en-us/save-now/?gclid=CLGVhuidsswCFYPmfgodfy0Mrg&gclsrc=ds
And a little farther down,
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query hesive&adid"222222224090922478&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl004363001&wl1=b&wl2=titebond%20iii%20adhesive&wl3262607075&veh=sem
On 4/28/2016 4:05 PM, Leon wrote:

And for what it is worth, I went to the HF site and searched Probond glue, and Elmer's wood glue
Here is the result.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=probond+glue
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 5:16:04 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

It's interesting that probond returns 0 matches, yet titebond returns 1.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=titebond
Maybe the builder of the search database assumed more people are familiar with the titebond brand vs. the probond.
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 11:54:37 AM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:

...snip...
Actually, a search on their website for titebond leads you to a page that leads you to the page with titebond in the URL.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=titebond
So that means that they have associated that product with the word titebond in their search database.
I don't know if that's worth anything, I'm just tossing it out there.

One possibility is HF has a business agreement with Franklin International to buy and repackage/rebrand TBIII factory 'seconds' and/or unsold product that was at or near expiration date. Hence the "too thick to flow" complaints.

Could well be. In which case they likely have some agreement, even if just a handshake, allowing them to call it "titebond style" or something like that.
The MSDS for "HFT" glue, if it was available, would probably tell us the actual manufacturer. And if it was Franklin International, we could assume it was Titebond that was in some way out-of-spec.
John