compare impact drivers

Compare impact driver brands.....
I have other Dewalt 9.6 & 14.4 tools, so that brand and those voltages get first consideration. I would use it for general woodshop construction. I have a corded hammerdrill for heavy stuff.
For those of you that have tried different brands, what are your experiences. I have tried Dewalt, makita, and Ridgid, but have not compared them side by side.
I have not seen discussions here or anywhere about brand comparisons, have you?......

I have the Bosch 10.8v ion-lithium-warp-drive or whatever they are called and like it. Gobs o' torque, even battery wear, quick recharge, and I always applaud Bosch (as long as it's earned) on their ergonomics/build quality. They just feel good in use. My only gripe would be the noise when the clutch kicks in (or would it be kicks out?...). Not sure how loud the others are. No regrets at all. Mark
Fine Home Building in the last issue had a comparison article.
CP
eganders wrote:

I like the grip and balance of the Makita. The Ridgid battery replacement policy is attractive. Panasonic has some interesting technology around torque control. Some models have had a digital clutch, while others have had the ability to switch into single beat mode, where it gives a quarter turn or so at a time. This lets you sink the fastener to precisely the desired depth.
Also look at the size/weight of the units. Some are much longer than others, which could make it hard to get into tight spaces. The lithium ion based ones are generally much lighter.
Chris
"eganders" wrote

I have a Makita 6980FD, 12V , NiMH, impact driver that is adequate for light work. I also have a Makita BTD 140, 18V, Li-ion, driver that is a much better tool and with which I am well pleased. I got the 18V model, as a gift, in a set that included the impact driver, a driver drill and a hammer drill. I'll be selling my 12V versions soon. <G>
Max

Tools of the Trade magazine just did a comparison of these impact drivers.
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID 89&articleIDp5143

Great link, Leon.. thanks..
Looks like I'll be going with Craftsman again, simple economics.. $80 for the tool and I have the 2 battery multi-charger and several batteries..
The smaller, lighter ones look good, but for my mostly bench use I can live with the Craftsman, which looks pretty much like the 2 drill/drivers that I have now..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

What is involved in buying tools where you are?
Do you have to bribe the border guards? :)