cold

Page 1 of 3
minus 4 F
Maybe I should turn the heat on?
/canuckistani

+80 F here at 9 p.m., I was thinking of putting the heater on
?

Not for F, only if you were using C making it much colder.

Come on Ed, -4C is about (32-(~2*4))= 24F. -40F=-40C More accurately, F = 5/9 * C + 32
--
Best regards
Han

At those temperatures, we wait for the ice to warm up before putting another layer of water on to resurface. :-)
Puckdropper
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 00:01:56 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

OMG, those poor bananas!
-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams
Robatoy wrote:

High today 74 F

Robatoy wrote the following:

All this morning, Weatherbug is saying it is 48 degrees (F) outside where I live. I have WB set to get the reading from the nearby International Airport (SWF) 8 miles away. However, the Weather channel site, and all my outdoor thermometers say it is is 7 (F). Weatherbug's other local thermometer locations all say 6-8 F Closing and reopening Weatherbug and even rebooting the computer has had no effect on the temperature error. Maybe I should call SWF and tell them their building is on fire? :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No, only do that when it reads 451F. Perhaps you should call them and tell them to close the window under the sensor.
-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 00:01:56 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

The temperature was -8 F here this morning.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

It's a smouldering +15F here now... now where did I put that Hawaiian shirt?

Time to rototill the garden then...
RP

-12 F in the Cortland NY area. Just about 80 F in my house thanks to the wife
RP

So you are saying that you are going to close up the pool?
Allen (In the Elmira area where it was -11F this morning)

The pool is closed but the outdoor grill is still in use.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Outdoor BBQ seldom stops unless there is too much wind.
But... these stories I read here about 'cold'.... Try working a summer job on The Arctic Trader, which was a Shell fuel supply ship in Frobisher Bay. I said a 'summer job' as that was the only time of year the ice had a few gaps in it to get through. Standing watch looking for icebergs it didn't have to get too windy for it to take your nose off in about 2 minutes. When the spray off the bow would crystallize into ice in mid-air it is cold. Or taking a load of aviation fuel to Thunder Bay in December coming across Lake Superior on a windy day...
Worst part is, you never get used to it, in fact the opposite is true, you become cold quicker and take longer warm up again. But it was a great way for a student to make money, free room and board, no apartment or car to keep and really no place to spend money..it was also a real eye-opener in terms of natural beauty and when you met people up in the Arctic, they were always interesting folk. Coat Guard, military, social services, research scientists, crad sharks, and musicians...
On 01/25/2011 06:53 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Social Services?

Ayup. There are some serious drinking/drug/abuse problems in some of the tucked-away villages up the North Atlantic coast and inland.

Hey, Yack. I still have a picture of Mario Nunez grilling in several inches of snow on a balmy Buffalo day in winter. Youse guys is kwazy.
-- If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? -- Shantideva

Looks like the bananas are going to survive. 33F today.