Cleaning up an old table saw

Page 5 of 7

Sorry, Leon. That still means the "iron" had cooled down, and the air was warmer and more moist. Seems like the equipment was outside, cooled down, and then was brought into a warm, humid room.
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/14/2012 6:52 AM, Han wrote:

I agree Han this does not sound right but the equipment was in side the shop, it never comes outside. The inside temperature was the outside temperature. All doors wide open all day even when the front blew in.
Basically the temperature in the shop dropped before the equipment cooled down.
There was something strange going on.
His 16' door which was open faced south. The colder air did not directly enter the shop except through the small back side door. And the iron did not feel cool when I was wiping it down, IIRC. We literally watched this going on just before we quit for the day.
Now may be I have my seasons wrong, but the 16' was wide open all day and we normally don't stay cool/cold all day long and have a warm front change the temperature that fast. Our cold fronts bring a much more sudden and drastic temperature change than out warm fronts do, and to state again, this all happened with in a matter of a few minutes.

front dropped the air temp to 20C. The relative humidity would be 102%
If it's 90F and 55% RH, anything cooler than 71F will get wet. If it's 30C and 55% RH, anything cooler than 19.96C will get wet.
Reduce the RH to 50% and it happens at 18.42C
On 2/14/2012 10:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The RH was probably closer to 80~90%, common in Houston. And we probably saw a 20 degree temp drop in 10~15 minutes.

Yep, I remember the incident, well. LOL. It was at Ruskin, and I remember the cause was opening the shop door, when it had been cooler the day before, onto a foggy, relatively warmer morning. I also remember being pissed because I had not covered the tools the night before with those special covers that I have for that exact situation, a weather report that calls for much warmer, foggy conditions the next morning. :)
--
www.ewoodshop.com

On 2/14/2012 7:28 AM, Swingman wrote:

That all happened at the end of the day, you and I had been working together. You stayed late to finish drying and protecting the surfaces. And IIRC you bought the covers after that when I pointed to the HTC clearance sale.
On 2/14/2012 7:34 AM, Leon wrote:

Maybe you had that happen again but IIRC you had no such covers when we saw it happen at the end of the day.

Hey guys, it's Valentine's day, and I love you both <grin>!
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/14/2012 8:05 AM, Han wrote:

And please accept my apologies for that Bull Shit response. I was not thinking. Seriously I know and agree with what you said about condensation. But I instantly recalled that odd incident in Swingman's garage and that prompted my jerk knee response.
"Leon" wrote

Perhaps an argument could be made that Swingman's garage exists in an alternate universe and the normal laws of physics don't apply there. ;-) It would explain some things that go on there.
On 2/14/2012 9:23 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

According to our wives, that's already a given ... in that we think so much alike that discussing who came up with which idea to do something, when, and in which order, and one way or another, is a fify fifty tossup. :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/14/2012 7:34 AM, Leon wrote:

OK ... you certainly got me scratching my head.
I distinctly remember having two, weather related, shop rust incidents of that nature, one indeed at the Ruskin location... both, in my memory, being _immediately upon_ "opening the overhead door".
You sure it was Ruskin ... we moved the equipment there in late Oct/2008?
AAMOF, that combination, to this day, always making me reluctant to open the overhead door without checking/being aware of a temperature differential, especially after the first time it happened after my 24/7 wall mounted fan went out at Oberlin, which moved enough air for it to not normally be an issue.
I simply do not recall a "cold front" ever being the cause, but hey, it wouldn't be the first time I wore shorts and t-shirt in 30 degree weather without noticing the cold.
... but that STILL doesn't explain why, <drumroll>:
The _science_ is on _my_ side!
<g,d &r>
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

That's a given. Whether "you" are on the side of science is the question. For some of the set of "you" that is doubtful. Karl is at least one who is on the side of science.
But then, my son-in-law, the high school math teacher has a T-shirt that says: Sarcasm Just another service we offer.
--
Best regards
Han
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 12:44:25 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

What do their beliefs have to do with their theories? I hope you're not one of those who sees no difference.

You can have heated debates between scientists who both are very convinced they are right, and at first glance from their arguments they both are right, but, wait, that can't be ... So the problem becomes who made a mistake in reasoning, or viewpoint, or observation. It sometimes isn't easy to see at all. And that leaves out those arguments that are indeed based on flawed basic points, which there are too.
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/14/2012 9:57 AM, Swingman wrote:

Yes, It was Ruskin. ;~) I recall seeing all of that on water on the BS on the right hand side of the garage as I was walking out.

It had been warm and humid all day...till we were wrapping up and the front blew in.
IIRC I found the HTC covers and the great chop saw stand that you bought after I saw that issue. ;~)

I know it does not make any sense.

-We get it up here in Central Ontario for a couple of weeks a year - and I experienced it a LOT when I was in Zambia. Didn't know you COULD have RH over 100% - but under certain conditions it happens - it's not raining, or even really "misty" but swing anything through the air at any speed and it gets wet (instead of drying off). A drop in temperature and everything in the shop got wet - particularly if a slight breeze and the shade of the roof kept the inside shop temp just below the outside air temperature (Thermal mass of concrete shop cooled off over-night and sun on the ground in the yard heated the air above - nothing to have air temp out in the yard 46C, (115F) and the shop a relatively comfortable 35C (95F) or even cooler, then have the clouds and breeze move in and the outside temperture drop a few degrees.
With Victoria Falls, the worlds largest humidifier 10 Km down the road, October was HELL. The humidity was aproaching 100%, and you KNEW it wasn't going to rain for another 6 weeks!!!
On 2/14/2012 10:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I believe you have also witnessed the situation!
On 2/14/2012 11:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Relative humidifies over 100% are possible, and can happen with quick change in temperatures. They can also happen when there is nothing to cause the formation of the precipitant,(condensation).
Supersaturation is use a lot in the chemical industry when the product requires a precipitation of purify the product. In some incidences the supersaturation is produced by boiling, either at room temperature, to reduce the volume and increase the concentration of the material.

Please re-read what I said. Inside your house it is 70% relative humidity, and outside it is zero Fahrenheit? You must have 17humifiers going full blast!! No wonder that the warm, moist air in your rooms condenses on the cold windows ...
--
Best regards
Han