Cleaning up an old table saw

Swingman wrote in news:HvmdnV8DWJTHGKTSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That is reprehensible, IMNSHO. If someone is smart and can learn easily, that doesn't make him/her a good person. Everyone needs to get a chance, and failure is something that should be taught too, if for nothing but a little humility (DAMHIKT). BUT, and this is a big BUT, that doesn't mean that good performance in any discipline or behavior shouldn't be rewarded.

Reply to
Han

It's quite possible that we were lucky in the school district I attended. I was decidedly not a stellar student as far as grades, nor that high in my class standings (to the point of having to submit to "testing" for admission to a state college ... no SAT back in those days), but, and based on the excellent _teaching_ I benefited from, I "tested out" of most of my college freshman classes and started college almost a sophomore, with +/- 18 credit hours.

My youngest daughter, who graduated from HS in 2002, in the same city, had teachers that were arguably, and pointedly, illiterate ... there is no other word to describe their condition. I have their attempts at replying to my emails as proof ... 12 years of dealing with the ensuing educational bureaucracy is well documented on my hard drive, ten years later.

It took an inordinate amount of parental involvement to get a kid out of basically a school district in the same city some 40 years later. Especially considering that my parents never so much as interacted with a single one of my teachers, and never once set foot on the school grounds ... it simply wasn't necessary.

Pity the poor children who did not get the parental involvement that is an absolute necessity today ... we will be dealing with them for as long as they, and their children, and grandchildren, exist ... and they breed like the good little, two party, political currency rabbits they were raised to be, all entitled to one vote.

Reply to
Swingman

Q: What do you call a guy who leaves med school with a D- grade level?

A: DOCTOR.

-- To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves... We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our best and learn the most in the new situation. Peter McWilliams, Life 101

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Do you remember the day you and I were working in your garage and a cold front blew in at the end of the day. You Iron had condensation all over it before we quit. We had to dry it off and you ended having lite rust.

Reply to
Leon

Sorry Han, To explain my response, and where I have witnessed your second statement being not true "all of the time" is in Swingman's shop.

I understand how the condensation principal works.

BUT a few years ago Swingman and I were working in his shop, it had been quite warm. We had a cold front blow in suddenly at the end of the day and the temperature dropped quickly. "Heavy" Condensation formed on the iron machine surfaces with in minutes, something we do not often see.

Why? I have no idea.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Sorry, Leon. That still means the "iron" had cooled down, and the air was warmer and more moist. Seems like the equipment was outside, cooled down, and then was brought into a warm, humid room.

Reply to
Han

Leon wrote in news:GI6dnX snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Did you have the windows open, it got cold (and the iron cooled down), then you shut the windows and opened the doors to the rest of the humid, warm house?

Reply to
Han

No windows, detached uninsulated garage, just a 16' garage door that had been open all day and a rear side door that was open for the 3' fan to create a breeze through the shop. At the end of the day the front blew in and almost immediately, 10 minutes, "puddles" ow water formed on the cast iron surfaces. I started wiping the water off of the first casulty, ;~) before Swingman noticed what was happening, he was still finishing up with something on the TS. We both had to stop what we were doing to wipe the surfaces off.

Now the iron might have gotten cold but this all happened in a matter of a few minutes and the the whole shop cooled down before closing the doors.

It all was a bit freaky, I had never seen condensation form that quickly in such a great quantity.

Reply to
Leon

Yep, I remember the incident, well. LOL. It was at Ruskin, and I remember the cause was opening the shop door, when it had been cooler the day before, onto a foggy, relatively warmer morning. I also remember being pissed because I had not covered the tools the night before with those special covers that I have for that exact situation, a weather report that calls for much warmer, foggy conditions the next morning. :)

Reply to
Swingman

I agree Han this does not sound right but the equipment was in side the shop, it never comes outside. The inside temperature was the outside temperature. All doors wide open all day even when the front blew in.

Basically the temperature in the shop dropped before the equipment cooled down.

There was something strange going on.

His 16' door which was open faced south. The colder air did not directly enter the shop except through the small back side door. And the iron did not feel cool when I was wiping it down, IIRC. We literally watched this going on just before we quit for the day.

Now may be I have my seasons wrong, but the 16' was wide open all day and we normally don't stay cool/cold all day long and have a warm front change the temperature that fast. Our cold fronts bring a much more sudden and drastic temperature change than out warm fronts do, and to state again, this all happened with in a matter of a few minutes.

Reply to
Leon

That all happened at the end of the day, you and I had been working together. You stayed late to finish drying and protecting the surfaces. And IIRC you bought the covers after that when I pointed to the HTC clearance sale.

Reply to
Leon

Maybe you had that happen again but IIRC you had no such covers when we saw it happen at the end of the day.

Reply to
Leon

surfaces off.

Wow. All I can say is this must be another example of why eyewitness testimony is often considered suspect ... two totally different recollections. :)

Reply to
Swingman

surfaces off.

Perhaps but do you remember me being there? I remember you staying later, after I left for the day, to apply WD40. I distinctly remember the band saw being the first thing I noticed, then the jointer. And Yeah I know cold surface warm humid air. But I am pretty sure that because the doors were open all day long it was not cold in the shop, and then the front blew in and we had a drop what you are doing, problem to address.

Oh well..... LOL

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news:lP6dnRIiO4UU snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Hey guys, it's Valentine's day, and I love you both !

Reply to
Han

And please accept my apologies for that Bull Shit response. I was not thinking. Seriously I know and agree with what you said about condensation. But I instantly recalled that odd incident in Swingman's garage and that prompted my jerk knee response.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

"odd incident"??

Perhaps an argument could be made that Swingman's garage exists in an alternate universe and the normal laws of physics don't apply there. ;-) It would explain some things that go on there.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

OK ... you certainly got me scratching my head.

I distinctly remember having two, weather related, shop rust incidents of that nature, one indeed at the Ruskin location... both, in my memory, being _immediately upon_ "opening the overhead door".

You sure it was Ruskin ... we moved the equipment there in late Oct/2008?

AAMOF, that combination, to this day, always making me reluctant to open the overhead door without checking/being aware of a temperature differential, especially after the first time it happened after my 24/7 wall mounted fan went out at Oberlin, which moved enough air for it to not normally be an issue.

I simply do not recall a "cold front" ever being the cause, but hey, it wouldn't be the first time I wore shorts and t-shirt in 30 degree weather without noticing the cold.

... but that STILL doesn't explain why, :

The _science_ is on _my_ side!

Reply to
Swingman

According to our wives, that's already a given ... in that we think so much alike that discussing who came up with which idea to do something, when, and in which order, and one way or another, is a fify fifty tossup. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:GY6dnaZDfZUSGafSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's a given. Whether "you" are on the side of science is the question. For some of the set of "you" that is doubtful. Karl is at least one who is on the side of science.

But then, my son-in-law, the high school math teacher has a T-shirt that says: Sarcasm Just another service we offer.

Reply to
Han