Clamping beveled joints

I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along their length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some corner miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you recommend to apply pressure to the center area? Web clamps will actually pull the joint apart.
Any suggestions?
Thanx,
Vic
--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't
<<I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along their length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some corner miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you recommend to apply pressure to the center area? Web clamps will actually pull the joint apart.
Any suggestions?>>
How about some of these: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pagee25
Lee

_________________________________
Vic Baron wrote:

Lay the pieces bevel down on the workbench and butt the points together. Run masking/painter's tape along the seam of the joint. "Fold" the pieces to close the miter. Put some rubber bands around the pieces to hold the joint closed.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I guess you don't want something like this:
http://www.msu.edu/~larson25/pics/kegerator/joint.jpg
If the pieces are nice and straight you should be able to tape across the outside of the miter and close up the miter.
or see if you can clamp one piece to a 4x4 or similar with the miter overhanging the edge then clamp the other board in place. You may need to rip the corner off of the 4x4 to get the miter to sit tight.
perfect reason to buy http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr557.htm?L+coastest+lrpy6181ff4f034f

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr557.htm?L+coastest+lrpy6181ff4f034f
Have one - helps with the alignment but the clamping is still difficult. However the tape method seems like the way to go!
Thanks!
Vic Baron wrote:

How about a variation on this theme?
http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/workshop/corner_clamping.jpg
Chris

I looked at that - should be easy to make if the tape method isn't satisfactory.
Thanx!

Garden variety bar clamps can do the job. You can reinforce the alignment with biscuits. You don,t need anything too exotic for this application. Look for horses not zebras. Joe G
Vic Baron wrote:
> I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along their > length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. <snip>
A piece of aluminum angle extrusion and some C-Clamps.
Cover the angle with packing tape then use the angle as a form and clamp the parts to it until the glue dries.
Lew

I'll have to take a look at that. I have some angle iron around somewhere. By using the corner miter clamp on the top and bottom, I can keep the alignment. I mainly want to apply some clamping pressure along the length of the piece.
Vic Baron wrote:

rubber bands to clamp

Nice & simple, I like it.

Me too!