Clamping beveled joints

I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along their length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some corner miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you recommend to apply pressure to the center area? Web clamps will actually pull the joint apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

How about some of these:

Lee Gordon

Lay the pieces bevel down on the workbench and butt the points together. Run masking/painter's tape along the seam of the joint. "Fold" the pieces to close the miter. Put some rubber bands around the pieces to hold the joint closed.

Reply to
Nova

I guess you don't want something like this:

the pieces are nice and straight you should be able to tape across the outside of the miter and close up the miter.

or see if you can clamp one piece to a 4x4 or similar with the miter overhanging the edge then clamp the other board in place. You may need to rip the corner off of the 4x4 to get the miter to sit tight.

perfect reason to buy

RayV

one - helps with the alignment but the clamping is still difficult. However the tape method seems like the way to go!

Thanks!

Reply to
Vic Baron

How about a variation on this theme?

Chris Friesen

I looked at that - should be easy to make if the tape method isn't satisfactory.

Thanx!

Reply to
Vic Baron

Garden variety bar clamps can do the job. You can reinforce the alignment with biscuits. You don,t need anything too exotic for this application. Look for horses not zebras. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

A piece of aluminum angle extrusion and some C-Clamps.

Cover the angle with packing tape then use the angle as a form and clamp the parts to it until the glue dries.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'll have to take a look at that. I have some angle iron around somewhere. By using the corner miter clamp on the top and bottom, I can keep the alignment. I mainly want to apply some clamping pressure along the length of the piece.

Reply to
Vic Baron

And, if he's got some money to spend.

?c=1&p=31165&cat=1,43838
?c=1&p=53673&cat=1,43838

Reply to
Upscale

Cut 4 pieces, form them into a box. Only glue the edge you need. Use rubber bands to clamp

Reply to
shawn

Nice & simple, I like it.

Reply to