Circular Saw

Due to my gout im having trouble using the 7 1/4 in saw.Im considering the smaller 5 or 6 inch,whatever size it is.Has anyone have any experiance with these.It will only be used for cutting plywood down to managable sizes then i will use my table saw.Do they have the jam and would a cordless do the job if i decide to go that route or should i stick with the plug in type.Any advise would help. Thanks

Reply to
darrell darcy

Smaller circular saws are great for cutting plywood down to size. I prefer corded tools, simply because you do not have to worry about recharging batteries (or batteries going flat), but if you are going to be mobile with your saw, then cordless does do the job ok, as long as you are not using overly thick plywood (3/4" or more).

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener

- Miller Dowel System

- Robert Sorby Woodturning Chisels

- Kwikstand Portable Table Saw Stand

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

Woodman

darrell darcy wrote

How about a Festool saw? I bought one a couple of weeks ago and really love it. Currently I'm in the process of writing a review, here's the beginning:

1) What is so special about this saw?

- The ATF 55 is a plunge saw, not a simple circular saw. The advantages of this type of saw are that you can plunge into the middle of wood (for example for glass parts of doors) and more safety because of the better protected blade.

- Festool offers a unique guide rail system which can also be used for the Festool jigsaw and the Festool router. These guide rails work deadly accurate and ensure precision and high-quality cuts. Festool offers a wide range of accessories for the rails. The most important ones are available as a package (in a systainer).

- Extremely high quality blade which allows cuts without tear out even in melamine.

- Almost dust-less operation if hooked up to a vac (I recommend the Festool CT models).

2) Why should someone want such a saw?

- Well, my shop is pretty small and I don't have the space for a table saw. But, of course, I want as much accuracy as possible, so the ATF is the way to go because it ensures precise high-quality cuts if used with the guide rails.

- Even if you have a large table saw, sheets are always a pain to handle. And cutting the sheets to size with a circular saw and then make precise cuts with the table saw is a waste of time and if you are a professional a waste of money, too.

- Have to trim a door on a jobsite? - Take out the ATF, a guide rail and the job is done within a few minutes. Hardly any dust, hardly any clean up and a smiling customer.

3) Typical Festool features:

- Systainers - the most useful stackable case for tools and accessories

- 3 year warranty

- 30 days money back warranty

- System philosophy: As mentioned above the rails can be used for jigsaw, plunge saw and router. And there's also a special worktable, which uses the rails. Suction hose fits the dust port on all Festool's without adapter.

You might also like to check out the following reviews and comments:

free to email me if you have any questions.

I can assure you that I don't work for Festool or revieve any money from them. I'm a satisfied customer and wanted to pass this on.

Regards,

Christian Aufreiter, Austria

Reply to
Christian Aufreiter

I was looking for a small circular saw a while back. Have the cordless but tired of having to recharge batterys. Went to Lowes and they didn't carry anything but the cordless so off to Sears I went and they have a nice little corded saw for $109. Web site shows 119.99 but was in the store friday and still have it for $109.99. The little saw works great for plywood etc where you don't need a large one.

Mike S.

I've seen a lot of contractors around here use the PC 6" (which can be had for the low $100's if you're careful about sales).

Pete

Reply to
PJS

Reply to
darrell darcy

Somebody writes: > Due to my gout im having trouble using the 7 1/4 in saw.Im

I acquired a cordless circular saw as part of a kit that contained the drill I really needed.

Probably the best "accidental" tool purchase I've made in a long time.

That cordless circular saw has become my weapon of choice for cutting sheets of plywood down to size.

Not having power cords get in my way everytime I want to make a cut is a major plus, IMHO.

Add a couple of C-clamps, an 8 ft aluminum angle for a straight edge, and a

1' thick, 4x8 styrofoam sheet and you are good to go.

BTW, just finishing cutting up the last sheets of 4 ply, 1/2" CDX from the

2nd unit.

Each unit contains 70 sheets, so that's 140 sheets total.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett