choosing a miter saw:

Page 1 of 2
Hi,All: I am debating the following 3 model's,
        Ryobi 12 In. Compound laser miter saw Model TS1551DXL ($199)
        DeWalt 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model DW705S    ($299)
        RIDGID 12 In. Compound Miter Saw Model MS1250LZ     ($299) would anyone please give me some suggestions? looks like the Ryobi got the laser, it that very important? Thanks in advance. John
I've been very happy with my dewalt SH

And I've been happy with mine. It gets used on almost every project, even if it isn't for the final cuts.
Patriarch
The DW is the King of 12" CMS.

Dave Jackson writes:

I prefer my Bosch SCMS. Of course, the $700 price is pretty kingly, too.
Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken
If he'd inquired about a SCMS, i would have directed towards the Bosch, they RULE SCMS! Judging from the price, sounds like you bought the 12" NICE.

I have the Dewalt sliding 12 inch and love it. I would buy it again. I have also used the Hitiachi 10 for almost 10 years and would definitely buy that one again. max

Just so you know, the Ridgid "is" a Ryobi, just in orange clothing and of better quality than the weekend warrior Ryobi blue junk. That said, I have the Ridgid 12" sliding compound miter - the MS1290, I think - and I'm happy with the way it cuts. The laser is a joke, and the only good thing about the dust collection is the 2 1/2" port.
gw wrote:

Interesting timing, I too was looking at them today and was about to post a similar question, although I'm looking at a 10" probably. HD had a Ryobi TS1352DXL($149) next to the Ridgid MS1065LZ($177) and they are not even similar except for both being miter saws. The Ridgid was definately much more stout, and it has a 3yr warr as opposed to a 2yr for the Ryobi. Also looked at the Porter Cable 3700L($199)1yr warr & the DeWalt DW703 ($199)<--- no laser on this model, 1yr warr. All are 10" saws. Ran by Sears and snooped at theirs too but forgot my handy dandy mfgr chart to convert Sears numbers from.
Talk to me about the laser and the dust bag, what's not right with them? Grandpa John

Ryobi and Ridgid are both part of Emerson Tool, IIRC. Emerson used to make power tools for Sears. You will find that the Ryobi "Professional" tools sold in Europe are indistinguishable from Ridgid, the house brand of Home Depot. Have a look here: http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID 4304 That is my Ridgid, only in Ryobi blue instead of Borg orange. I would rate Ridgid vs Ryobi similar to the DeWalt vs Black & Decker lines.
On my Ridgid - the laser replaces the arbor washer under the nut. The laser line is 1/8" or to the left of the actual cut line, rendering it useless. There is no way to adjust it. The dust bag is suspended above the dust port, so what little dust is thrown into it falls out the moment the blade stops producing wind. It is held in a bent wire frame, and it's pushed so close to the frame of the saw that the opening of the bag is practically closed off. I have it hooked to my DC anyway - not a factor.

I have the *ducking* craftsman with the laser and dust bag... no idea who makes this one for them.. The dust bag works well on this saw.. actually better than replacing it with a shop vac.. needs emptying a couple of times a week when I have a project or two going..
The laser is ok for a general guide.. I use it as a rough base on long pieces and then eyeball them with the blade down on the wood.. I was spoiled by my neighbor's CMS that we used when we built my deck.. he's a drywall contractor and has a bunch of very quiet "hospital work" certified 12" CMS with lasers that are not only adjustable, but mounted in the handle of the saw and can be switched from left to right... what a tool!! Then I got my 10" CMS and was not thrilled with the laser.. of course, there was a $1,500 price difference between the 2 saws.. lol
gw writes:

You don't remember correctly. Ryobi is the tool arm of a holding company whose initials I persistently forget. They make many of the Ridgid line of power tools, which is a brand name owned by Emerson Tools. Emerson used to make many of the Craftsman tools. I'm pretty sure they still make the shop vacuums, and possibly other tools. The Craftsman business is a highly competitive one, as you'll note from the differences in style of some tools (router may be Bosch, biscuit joiner is probably DeWalt, etc.). Currently, Craftsman table saws are made by a company called Orion, out of Pittsburgh (the company, not the saws, which are, I believe, Taiwanese).

I don't like the laser set-ups on any of the arbor nut styles--Ryobi, Ridgid, Craftsman. The Delta and Porter-Cable dual lasers are excellent.
The dust bag is suspended above the dust port,

Dust collection on every miter saw and compound miter saw I've ever seen, with or without slides, needs improvement. They're better with a shop vacuum hooked into the line, but they're still not good. Years ago, a friend of mine cobbled up a cardboard/aluminum dust collection set up for his radial arm saw. It consists mainly of a box large enough to cover the spout, side to side and vertically, with the DC connection near the bottom. That works. It will also work for CMS and SCMS if placed correctly (though not as well with SCMS unless you've got some heavy DC power). Remove the blinking bag when using the collector.
Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken
gw wrote:

Thanks for the input. I can easily understand why you'd be unhappy with both. I'll have a look at some of the newer dual lasers and see what they are like, or at a minimum a single that is adjustable. Thanx again, John

happy
the
Here's a couple Miter Saw reviews that may be of interest to newsgroupers:
Ryobi EMS1830SCL 12" Slide CMS (pretty much identical to the Rigid MS1290LZ) http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/ryobiEMS1830SCL.htm
Bosch 3912 12" CMS http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/boschgcm12.htm
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 60 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer - Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw - Festool CT22E Dust Extractor - Fasco GN-40A Brad Nailer - Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction - Milescraft SignCrafter ------------------------------------------------------------

I have this bosch saw. I've been very disappointed by it. the machining is off, so it has inaccuracies built into it that cannot be adjusted out. if I set itto miter accurately at 90 degrees it's about 2 degrees out at 45. if I set it to chop straight through at 90/90 the detent that holds the swing arm down down for storage and transport doesn't line up with it's hole. the plastic miter lock knob fell apart. the table drifts when you try to lock it at an angle outside of a detent.
this saw is a bit of a dog.

of
have
about
newsgroupers:
You must have bought a dud. Mine has no such problems and works great, and is accurate. Maybe I was lucky, or you were unlucky?
-- -- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 60 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer - Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw - Festool CT22E Dust Extractor - Fasco GN-40A Brad Nailer - Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction - Milescraft SignCrafter ------------------------------------------------------------

something like that. this saw is one that hit the market right after the skil/bosch merger, and it's from the skil product line. the identical saw was released with the skil label on it.

Nothing to debate. Only one choice.
Maybe worth a mention; you can get the DW706 (dual bevel) reconditioned for around 250. I picked one up at the Denver WW show for 209.
Can anyone take some tolerance measurements and post them here? Blade runout ____ (mine is 0.010) Fence to fixed table squareness (nearly perfect) Fence to rotating table squareness (off 2-3 degrees)
Miter and bevel can easily be "tuned", but my out of squareness issue is bugging me.
On 24 Nov 2004 12:04:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (John) wrote:

If those 3 saws were in the local paper for sale I would not even bother to pick up the phone to call on the Ridgid or Roybi..
I would on the DeWalt...
I have been doing serious woodworking for 40+ years and over time have developed a bad attitude about some brands.. Sorry to say this but Roybi is one ...Ridgid on the other hand has Not yet reached that point but I have not been impressed by any of their machines except maybe for their planer... Even saying that I still use a few Craftsman machines I bought in the late 60"s
Just my biased opinion...offered without any data to back it up..
Bob Griffiths