Chip carving knives, bevel on both sites?

I just bought a pair of chip carving knives (cutting and stab knives). These knives are beveled on both sides of the blade, is this typical? I've read that the cutting knife should be sharpened at 10 degrees, and the stab knife at 25 degrees. I'm not sure if this means the combined angle of both bevels, or each bevel. Any input?

Reply to
Mcfly

Hope it's ok to bump my question. Someone posted 9 links in 9 individual threads and knocked my question right out.

Reply to
Mcfly

Knocked your question right out of WHAT??

Dave

Reply to
David

| Hope it's ok to bump my question. Someone posted 9 links in 9 | individual threads and knocked my question right out.

Mcfly...

It wasn't a problem. Your question is still visible - it may just take a while for someone with the answer you want to come along and post a reply. Remember that probably a third of the woodworking world is sleeping at any given time, and another third are at work on something else. Try to be patient.

Morris Dovey

This is usenet. What Google displays on their web pages bears little resemblance to what ACTUALLY happens on usenet.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I presume you're referring to the Google Groups display of the newsgroup? Most of us don't use Google Groups, so what it looks like there is completely irrelevant, and "bumping" the question doesn't make any difference in whether we see it.

(Unfortunately, I don't have any idea about the answer to your actual question, so although I saw it, I can't answer it!)

- Brooks

Reply to
Brooks Moses

The ten degrees is measured from one side. What knives did you get? If they are the Bartons, they are great knives but the chip knife needs to be rebeveled to work well. Much to steep as they come. Yes, beveled both sides is the way they should be. With the chip knife, you will be cutting both left and right. If the bevel were only on one side, it would cut differently depending on direction of cut. The stab knife is only used for accent marks. It's wide blade needs to be beveled equally to leave the V shaped groove it is intended to make.

Reply to
CW

Thanks for the info. Yes I did get the Bartons.

Sorry for my improper bumping of the post. I do use the Google Groups display and wasn't thinking that most users don't use this.

Reply to
Mcfly

Both sides of chip carving, and pocket knives should be beveled because both sides are used in symmetrical cutting. On the other hand, instrument makers knives are dead flat on one side with a single bevel on the right or left side. They are used for precision shearing of a flat face. A real PITA to keep the bevel, but a joy to work with. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

I'd say a half are sleeping. After all, most of you guys are old farts! ;-)

Reply to
Larry Bud

No worries; it didn't hurt anything. :)

Another thing about the Google Groups display compared to how the rest of us see the messages -- most systems only display one message at a time, and only the ones that haven't been read before, so I would have had no idea what your above post was about if I hadn't particularly remembered it from last time I was reading.

Thus, it's helpful to quote a bit of what you're replying to at the top of your post, as I've done here -- though Google may not show it, if you have the "hide quoted text" option set. To do the quoting automatically with Google Groups, click on the "Show Options" link under the post you're replying to (DON'T click on the obvious "Reply" link), and THEN click on the "Reply" link that comes up once it does the show-options thing.

(And no need to apologize -- the most important things are asking interesting questions and being polite, and you're certainly doing that! The rest of this is pretty secondary.)

- Brooks

Reply to
Brooks Moses

Now that was informative. :)

Reply to
CW

My apologies. I am new to newsgroups and I am not confident with the process. I seem to have pushed a button before it was time, or some such.

Reply to
entfillet

No problem. We've all done it.

Reply to