Cheap Vacuume Veneering

I recently did a small project with the case made of 2 layers of bent laminated 1/8" ply that I applied quilted maple veneer to the outside and flat cut maple veneer on the inside. Not having a vacuume set up I had the idea to try using what are called Space Bags that I bought at Wallmart for a few dollars. All you need is a good shop vac. The bags are used to store clothes in. You can buy different sizes of bags. I had no problem holding a vacuume overnite but care must be taken on the corners or other sharp edges so you don't punch a hole in the bag. Tape the edges and corners well! I veneered one side at a time. Although the veneer was fairly flat, I think it would work for bubblier type veneers if you placed a stiffner between the bag and veneer.
Please note, I did not glue laminate the panels with these bags.
That's neat. How large are the bags? Cheers, JG
DDP wrote:

The biggest bags I needed were 20" x 32" but I think there are larger sizes available.
DDP wrote:

Get an old Fridge or Freezer compressor and use it with the bag to get more vacuum placed on the bag.
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:58:03 -0700, vdubbs wrote:

Yeah, reminds me of my thermo prof. "Fill one side with an ideal gas, and fill the other side with vacuum."
Back OT, do fridge compressors really work with air? You just hook the "suck" side of the compressor to the bag, and Bob's your uncle? Groovy.
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:53:36 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

they do work. they can be had for free, but there are a few gotchas. they are filled with a somewhat foul oil, which if you let escape the compressor dies soon after. so you have this heavy motor/pump thing that you can't tip. they pull plenty of vacuum for veneering, but they do it slowly. on the good side, they are quiet and can be left running all night.
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Yep, keep the oil checked and changed in them and they will last a long time.