Cheap tools from Harbor Freight

Page 3 of 3

I have the 18v Ryobis and like them fine; but my 12v DeWalt is more powerful.
I got one of those Chicago drywall cut-out tools for 20 bucks and coudn't be happier with it. The plastic base didn't last long, so I fabbed up a sturdier one. For me to go to that much trouble for a twenty dollar tool means a lot!
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:25:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Tom Dooley) wrote:

That's another one. When they hit $20 I couldn't pass it up. So far the base on mine is holding up fine after a couple of drywall jobs. I'm actually pleased and surprised with it.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

My next door neighbor does a lot of handyman work and would go through one of these drills in a couple days. HF replaced them for a while, but then he had to drive for a couple hours (round trip) to exchange it. I suggested he get a good one and showed him my Panasonic 15.6. He ooohed and aahhhed appropriately and agreed that he needed something more substantial. Came back with a B&D. Sigh. Lasted a month.     mahalo,     jo4hn
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:52:50 -0700, Tim Douglass wrote:

MMDV (my mileage did vary) I bought the 12 volt Ryobi contractors driver a couple of years ago. The first one twisted off the chuck within a month of purchase. Sheared it right off. HD replaced it, but now neither battery will take a charge-- they just sit in the charger and blink red. So in a burst of "brilliance," I went back to HD and bought the 12 volt "consumer" driver for 50 bucks, since new batts for the old driver were $40, and the new driver came with 2 12 volt batts. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the new Ryobi 12 volt batts do not fit the old Ryobi 12 volt driver. Oh well. Might be a while before I buy another Ryobi tool.
ranted:

I've been doing Ryobi battery research today. Here's what I found for the 14.4v batt packs I need:
Ebay: PowerGears wants $25 for a new pack. "Good quality, Japanese-made."
Google: PrimeCell: $40 2Ah, $55 2.6Ah, $68 3Ah nimh for rebuilds. BatteryBarn: $54 for a 1.5Ah POS, $60 for a 2Ah rebuild. BatterySavings: $50 Ebatts: $57 (same source as BatterySavings) Voltmanbatteries: $30 (you pay shipping to them only, Sanyo 1.8Ah) Powertoolbattery: $54 Batteryprice: $38.85 1.5Ah Interbatteries: $34.53 1.7Ah exact replacement, new. $40 2Ah, $7 UPS to ship 1 or 2 packs.
I may try a pack from each: PowerGears and Interbattery.