Cheap tools from Harbor Freight

That's another one. When they hit $20 I couldn't pass it up. So far the base on mine is holding up fine after a couple of drywall jobs. I'm actually pleased and surprised with it.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

The crawler, or more commonly called a bulldozer:) doesn't. Interesting old

2 cly engine with a 4 cyl distributer on it with two positions capped off. Anyway my point was more to poke fun at JT for trying to bring a cordless vs corded argument into a thread on cordless ;)
Reply to
Eugene

MMDV (my mileage did vary) I bought the 12 volt Ryobi contractors driver a couple of years ago. The first one twisted off the chuck within a month of purchase. Sheared it right off. HD replaced it, but now neither battery will take a charge-- they just sit in the charger and blink red. So in a burst of "brilliance," I went back to HD and bought the 12 volt "consumer" driver for 50 bucks, since new batts for the old driver were $40, and the new driver came with 2 12 volt batts. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the new Ryobi 12 volt batts do not fit the old Ryobi 12 volt driver. Oh well. Might be a while before I buy another Ryobi tool.

Reply to
ray

one of these drills in a couple days. HF replaced them for a while, but then he had to drive for a couple hours (round trip) to exchange it. I suggested he get a good one and showed him my Panasonic 15.6. He ooohed and aahhhed appropriately and agreed that he needed something more substantial. Came back with a B&D. Sigh. Lasted a month. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

So, you're a woodworker, right? Design and build a platform that mounts on the 3-point hitch. May even end up useful for more than just the generator.

(Unless your deere is old enough that it doesn't _have_ a three-point hitch :-)

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:19:58 GMT, ray calmly ranted:

I've been doing Ryobi battery research today. Here's what I found for the 14.4v batt packs I need:

Ebay: PowerGears wants $25 for a new pack. "Good quality, Japanese-made."

Google: PrimeCell: $40 2Ah, $55 2.6Ah, $68 3Ah nimh for rebuilds. BatteryBarn: $54 for a 1.5Ah POS, $60 for a 2Ah rebuild. BatterySavings: $50 Ebatts: $57 (same source as BatterySavings) Voltmanbatteries: $30 (you pay shipping to them only, Sanyo 1.8Ah) Powertoolbattery: $54 Batteryprice: $38.85 1.5Ah Interbatteries: $34.53 1.7Ah exact replacement, new. $40 2Ah, $7 UPS to ship 1 or 2 packs.

I may try a pack from each: PowerGears and Interbattery.

------------------------------------------------- - Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design - EXhaled.- *

Larry Jaques

Thu, Jul 29, 2004, 7:12pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com (Eugene) says: Anyway my point was more to poke fun at JT for trying to bring a cordless vs corded argument into a thread on cordless ;)

No prob. I've got 2 or 3 more B&D drills, if this one ever dies. Paid $7 for one, and don't know where the other came from. Then, there's the brace, with a full set of bits, two eggbater drills, and the tiny little push drill. And, a hand crank flashlight. Your point was? LOL

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

years until I bought the Makita and still have it :)

Reply to
Eugene

Yeah, I fought it for a looooong time. I just kept happily using my $19.99 15-year-old Craftsman 3/8" corded drill. Then one day I got a wild hair and picked up a PC 12V cordless. I'm a changed man. I keep the corded drill plugged in in my shop, and I use it with the cordless rather than changing bits all the time, but the convenience of the cordless is unbeatable. I've even used an abrasive saw disc on it to cut wet PVC irrigation in the ground -- not a move I'd try with a cord :)

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

powered wheelchair? Could set up all the power tools that way, tiny steam powered engines on your drill, saw, router. Cordless and they would burn the sawdust for power so they would have cordless dust collection as well. We should have never invented electricity :)

Reply to
Eugene

Fri, Jul 30, 2004, 8:46am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike=A0Reed) says: I've even used an abrasive saw disc on it to cut wet PVC irrigation in the ground -- not a move I'd try with a cord

Depending on the size of the pipe, they've got a really nifty PVC cutter out, that works like a charm. And, no electric, OR batteries.

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

Fri, Jul 30, 2004, 12:30am snipped-for-privacy@leadersbyexample.com (Mark=A0Hopkins) says: There is always the solar alternative as well.... Throw up a panel in the sun and you are chargin'!

Nah. If I was going to go an alternative route, it'd be steam.

I've got a drawing, in one of my books, apparently from a circa

1900 or so ad, of a steam powered crosscut saw. Nifty looking device. Been trying to find info on such for probably several years now, with no luck so far. I figure there must be "something" out there, but just using the wrong buzz-words, or dombination thereof. If anyone runs across such, please post it, or even "gasp" e-mail me. LMAO

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

Nah. If I was going to go an alternative route, it'd be steam.

I've got a drawing, in one of my books, apparently from a circa

1900 or so ad, of a steam powered crosscut saw. Nifty looking device. Been trying to find info on such for probably several years now, with no luck so far. I figure there must be "something" out there, but just using the wrong buzz-words, or dombination thereof. If anyone runs across such, please post it, or even "gasp" e-mail me. LMAO

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

Mark Hopkins

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3152.bay.webtv.net:

Try a search on 'Hull Oaks'. It's a functioning steam powered sawmill here in Oregon. IIRC, the last such in the country. Quote the search and you get 34 hits. This one may be the most useful follow its links:

Lobby Dosser

Fri, Jul 30, 2004, 5:26pm snipped-for-privacy@leadersbyexample.com (Mark=A0Hopkins) says: Not a saw, but a neat powerplant plan.

Nah, not a power plant, but a burner plan. And that idea was working long before the Marines got ahold of it.

Now THESE ARE a man's powerplants.

The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

Fri, Jul 30, 2004, 10:36pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Lobby=A0Dosser) says: Try a search on 'Hull Oaks'. It's a functioning steam powered sawmill

Nope, not even close. That's a sawmill. Anyway, checked it out long ago.

I dug out the book with this in it. Under the picture it say, "Cloughjordan, Co, Tipperary, Eire".

Apparently the clipping appeared, in "Railway Engineering", by Haldane, 1897. Apparently it was called a "steam cross-cut sawing machine". It shows the thing in use, sawing a section of log in two.

A bit hard to describe. Apparently it was portable, as it has a steam hose running to it, and is mounted on a rectangular base. Being as it appeared in a railroad related book, I would suspect it would have been used for sawing up trees that had fallen over the tracks, useing the locootive boiler as a steam source. The far end of the thing has a screw, powered by a hand wheel, to raise and lower the blade, sorta a rack and pinion. Then comes the piston, or steam engine if you will, in a frame, which continues as a frame for the saw blade. In the drawing, it looks like about half the blade is in the frame, when it's fully retracted. Then the rest of the blade is in the open, and is nicely started cutting the log.

Looks like it would definitely be workable, and a monotube boiler would be simple enough to whip up. Looks like almost as much fun as the steam powered can crusher.

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3155.bay.webtv.net:

Circular blade, or straight like a steam powered bow saw?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Sat, Jul 31, 2004, 2:23am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Lobby=A0Dosser) queries: Circular blade, or straight like a steam powered bow saw?

No. You seem to be thinking sawmill. Like a cross-cut saw. More one-man type, then two-man, but possiblly longer than a one-man. On this, the blade travels horizontally, cutting a log on the ground. Like a cross-cut saw.

And, a bit of trivia, for those who don't know. IF you know what you're doing, one man can use a two-man crosscut saw, in the same manner as a one-man crosscut saw.

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

When I lived in California (two years ago) there was a guy that brought just such a critter to the Santa Cruz County fair every year. He set it up in the "old iron" area (antique tractors, hit-or-miss engines, etc.) and sliced off rounds from a good sized log--really attracted an audience!

The saw blade was probably 4 or 5 feet long.

You might be able to find him through a search of the SCC fair or the county web sites.

--John W. Wells

Reply to
John W. Wells