Cheap tools from Harbor Freight

Page 1 of 3
For all you cheap bastards that don't get the e-mails:
18V, Cordless 4 Tool Combo Pack 90374-3VGA $29.99
This stuff has gotta be dangerous!
Kevin
--
=====

One of these days you'll get an email something like:
18V, Cordless 4 Tool Combo Pack 90374-3VGA Free shipping/insurance $1.00

Kevin Singleton wrote:

Its useful life is directly proportional to the amount of use it gets. If you never use it, it will last forever. :-)     mahalo,     jo4hn
...and on this tool they say it themselves..."almost impossible to use" laughs. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber01
However HF is great for clamps made of iron and steel, super cheap shipping . I bought 4 > 1/2" pipe clamps they work great, and 4 > 24" bar clamps and work great. In store purchase though.
Alex

Err... you might want to read that again :) I think it says: "almost impossible to lose"
:-)
Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book - Kreg Universal Bench Klamp - GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter - Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - Triton Powered Respirator ------------------------------------------------------------

yes I did see that later, sorryyyyyy! Alex
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:32:09 -0400, "Kevin Singleton"

<g> Also note that the package ships with only ONE battery while the pic shows all 4 units with batteries attached. Pay attention before you buy!
------------------------------------------------- - Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design - EXhaled.- * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd place bets on the price of an extra/replacement battery pack being about $50-$60 ;)
A new battery is $10. 90121-0VGA. But I wouldn't recommend anyone buy this set. Nor would I recommend anyone buy the equivalent set from Delta (which looks remarkably like this one).
calmly ranted:

I have one of the cheap HF drills - a 14V. It works and has done pretty good duty for the last year or so since I dropped my better one and couldn't swing the scratch to replace it with something decent. The only real comment I have on it is that the motor is about half the power of my old 14V drill - not sure why that should be. It also seems to use the batteries awfully fast. For light duty around the house I suspect these things would work OK - not great, but OK.
Personally, on a price-performance basis the Ryobi tools at the orange Borg get my vote. I've used several of them and they seem solid and work well. Long term may be different, but for the price you can buy 3 sets of Ryobi's before you match the price of the good stuff. I wouldn't recommend them if they didn't work, but if you close your eyes you won't tell any difference between the Ryobi and, say, the DeWalt.
YMMV
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

original batteries a couple years ago so I got about 10 years out of them. I've bought a few more tools that use the same old stick style battery. I've spent $500-600 on the tools and batteries from 1991 to 2004. So if you take $600 divided by 13 years, I have spent $46 per year on cordless tools so if the HF set lasts more than 1 year each we both spent about the same amount. However I have saved a lot of frustration by having better quality tools for those 13 years.
Wed, Jul 28, 2004, 5:06pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com (Eugene) claims: I still have my first 9.6V Makita drill bought in 1991. Replaced the two original batteries a couple years ago so I got about 10 years out of them. I've bought a few more tools that use the same old stick style battery. I've spent $500-600 on the tools and batteries from 1991 to 2004. So if you take $600 divided by 13 years, I have spent $46 per year on cordless tools so if the HF set lasts more than 1 year each we both spent about the same amount. However I have saved a lot of frustration by having better quality tools for those 13 years.
Hmm, OK, if we're comparing, then here's my tale. Still have, and use, the B&D drill I bought new in 1976. If I recall right, I paid about $18, but certainly no more than $20, for it. Battery cost over the years - it's corded, so zero. However, I did buy a new whatchamacallit to loosen the thingie that holds the drill (technical terms), for about $3, so say a total of $23 invested. So, if you divide $23 by 28 years, that comes out to about $.82 per year. Plus, I have saved a huge amount of frustration by not having to charge batteries, or buy new ones, because the old ones won't charge. Well, actually I have bought a few etxension cords over the years, but as they are normally used for something other than drill use, I'm not counting them.
Putting up with cords while using my drill is worth $46 a year, any time.
JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe. - Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid
J T wrote:

panel workbench which oddly enough resembles the bed of my truck, don't have to drag a cord out the driveway. They also worked well helping dad build the barn 1/2 mile on top of a mountain in WV where there are no electric lines. In 1976 a $20 drill/saw/whatever was still decent quality. I have a $19 B&D jigsaw that has lasted a few years since I haven't ever used it since the first time when it broke its blade and bent the base, then I replaced the blade and tried again but its mechanism has so much side to side slop that you can't cut a straight edge. It was a gift from the in laws so I haven't thrown it away yet for fear they will ask me if I still have that saw they bought me. I did buy a metal bending brake from HF that was supposed to to 16ga steel. I slid in some thin aluminum and tried to bend it and the cheap steel of the brake bowed in the middle so every bend it makes is curved. My in laws always buy the cheapest stuff they can. They will buy the same $20 tool 3-4 times in 5 years and I will buy one tool for $50-60 and it will last 10. They still think I pay too much for tools even thought I come out ahead in the long run.
Wed, Jul 28, 2004, 10:16pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com (Eugene) says: I prefer the cordless. <snip> They also worked well helping dad build the barn 1/2 mile on top of a mountain in WV where there are no electric lines. <snip>
That's why they invented generators.
My kids both use cordless tools. The "however" is, they both do A/C work, and don't have access to power most of the time. So, as part of their work they pretty much have to - hand tools would slow them down too much. I think it's DeWalt they swear by, all the workers in this area do. Circular saw, drill, sawzall, the whole package.
However, they both normally use corded tools, or air tools, when they do anything at home.
As long as I've got access to power, I'll used corded, or air, tools. Otherwise, I'll use hand tools.
JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat. - Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid
J T wrote:

spent more than buying the cordless ;) My parents did finally buy a generator last year though, but its a pain to carry on a John Deere.

So, you're a woodworker, right? Design and build a platform that mounts on the 3-point hitch. May even end up useful for more than just the generator.
(Unless your deere is old enough that it doesn't _have_ a three-point hitch :-)
scott
Scott Lurndal wrote:

2 cly engine with a 4 cyl distributer on it with two positions capped off. Anyway my point was more to poke fun at JT for trying to bring a cordless vs corded argument into a thread on cordless ;)
Thu, Jul 29, 2004, 7:12pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com (Eugene) says: <snip> Anyway my point was more to poke fun at JT for trying to bring acordless vs corded argument into a thread on cordless ;)
No prob. I've got 2 or 3 more B&D drills, if this one ever dies. Paid $7 for one, and don't know where the other came from. Then, there's the brace, with a full set of bits, two eggbater drills, and the tiny little push drill. And, a hand crank flashlight. Your point was? LOL
JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat. - Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid
There is always the solar alternative as well.... Throw up a panel in the sun and you are chargin'!
(Eugene) says:

Fri, Jul 30, 2004, 12:30am snipped-for-privacy@leadersbyexample.com (MarkHopkins) says: There is always the solar alternative as well.... Throw up a panel in the sun and you are chargin'!
Nah. If I was going to go an alternative route, it'd be steam.
I've got a drawing, in one of my books, apparently from a circa 1900 or so ad, of a steam powered crosscut saw. Nifty looking device. Been trying to find info on such for probably several years now, with no luck so far. I figure there must be "something" out there, but just using the wrong buzz-words, or dombination thereof. If anyone runs across such, please post it, or even "gasp" e-mail me. LMAO
JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat. - Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid