Charlie Self's tautology

Page 1 of 2
Charlie's new sig: "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook
"Tautology?" Geez, Charlie, you're getting pretty swanky and ritzy. Most of us are ignorant and don't know what that means. Could you cease and desist?
Bob Schmall Not one shred of evidence exists that life is serious. Richard Feynman
Hey, Charlie is a writer and as such, he is supposed to know these things. Me, I would't for a second ask him to quit his quotes for fear that he might accuse me of being ignorant and not knowing what he had said so I won't!

"Lawrence A. Ramsey" wrote:

OH! He's just trying to top Bill Buckley. :-) ...lew...
Lew Hartwick responds:

No one tops WFB at over-use of complex words. But I didn't write this one. I just posted it.
Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html

I think Mr. Bukcley is an (or is it "a") euphimitistic circumlocutionist, exuberated by his own verbosity. Don'tcha just hate that?
What a group -e.e.cummings AND William F. Buckley referenced in one 24 hour period!
charlie b
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

add
of
desist?
Mark Twain was a profoundly funny guy, but the sentiment may have been more profound had he mentioned the sheep first.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/23/04

Naaaaaaa
"Myxylplyk" wrote in message

more
LOL Excellent!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/23/04

And possibly more accurate.
Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook
" "Tautology?" Geez, Charlie, you're getting pretty swanky and ritzy. Most of us are ignorant and don't know what that means. Could you cease and desist?"
"Tautology" - (N) The use of different words to say the same thing twice. ie. Charlie's Twain quote and Bob's appeal that he join the "ignorant" herd is, well, tautological of Bob. ;-)>
Mr. Winsor decyphered ....

That's a relief. All I could think of was that line from a certain Woody Allen movie.
Joe

herd
Heehee--and you're the only one who caught it.

Damn, given that Charlie is living in West Virginia I kinda assumed the quote had a sexual connotation :)
Dave Hall
Dave Hall responds:

You mean like a Scotsman's kilt when he's sheep herding?
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
Bob Schmall responds:

Probably not. It's good for you. Besides, everyone in my last English class knew what it meant. And besides that, ol' Sam Clemens was the writer. I'm just the poster.
Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook
Neat homepage, Charlie. Learned a LOT of good stuff about planes. Recomend it to everyone else also.
On 29 Jan 2004 16:07:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

On 29 Jan 2004 16:07:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:
<snip>

Gee, I used to know what it meant. Now I have to wait for a follow up like most of the rest of yer!
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

That's our Charlie... the poster child for tautologies everywhere!
;-)
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Better that than being a poster child for 'slack-ologies'. <guffaw>

Nice.