Cedar for workbench frame

I'm planning to build a workbench featured in the November 2001 issue of American Woodworker. The plans call for construction-grade pine for the frame. I have a lot of western red cedar on hand. Could I susbtitute the cedar for the pine?
Regards,
Benoit Evans
--
Regards,

Benoit Evans
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:41:31 -0500, "K.-Benoit Evans"

I wouldn't. Eastern red cedar I'd think about it. But western is too light and too soft.
If you do use it, double the height of stretchers etc.
Cedar is too light as already mentioned but is also splits VERY easily. I have punched nails in the legs of my bench and vise bolts/screws and in general find that they take a beating. Pine is OK but I rate it at the lower end on suitable woods for a bench. It is affordable so that is why I use it.
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:54:17 +0000, Andy Dingley

I would look for a heavier wood, without a substantial base it will walk.
BRuce