Catch For Secret Compartment

I need a way to catch the back wall of a cabinet for a secret compartment. Any ideas?

Rare earth magnets
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:01:44 GMT, "ommadawn"

Well, yeah, but now we'll all know...
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Make a wooden latch that uses gravity. Will that work?
Cheers Bill D New Zealand

It might in NZed but then it wouldn't work in the U.S...
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
I read about someone making an invisible lock/latch using a nail and a magnet - have the nail sunk through a piece of small stock inside the compartment which can pivot and the nail end can fall into a hole. When you move a magnet up past the nail on the outside of the compartment, the nail lifts out of the hole and releases the latch. Did that make sense? Sorry - it sounds confusing, and it may be more complex than you need, but it's really not a difficult concept and I think it would be fun to try. (This idea came from a book by Kary Mullis, inventer of the Polymerase Chain Reaction, if there are any other woodworking molecular biologists out there...) Andy

Andy if you use the big rare earth magnets Lee Valley sells. You can move a plate of steel through the wood let alone a nail. Nobody would ever figure it out.
I'd tell you but it's a secret.

ommadawn wrote:

Have I got a deal for you!
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/ChasCab/ChasCab2.html
charlie b
ps - the LV cylindrical rare earth magnets just barely work through 3/4" ply. Must be all that glue in Batlic Birch
You can use some rare-earth magnets and some steel to make a latch. The steel gets inlayed into one side and the magnets into the other. They are surprisingly strong. I use this set up for a lot of box latches.