Case of the overgrown insert?

Page 2 of 3
Nonny wrote:

Yes, but did you think to *write* on the jig a description of why the hell you built it in the first place? I can't think of how many times I've pulled some old jig out of storage and have no earthly clue what I used it for... :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

LMAO!! I started laughing before I finished reading your first sentence!
Bought the t-shirt. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Steve Turner wrote:

Me, me...I do :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Me too... NOW. :-)
Steve Turner wrote: > "Even if your wife is happy but you're unhappy, you're still happier > than you'd be if you were happy and your wife was unhappy." - Red Green
I'm stealing your sig line, btw.
--

-MIKE-

wrote in message

darn good point.
--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
Steve Turner wrote:

something like that. Oh well, at the rate that I get smarter, I will be a certified genius in less that 400 years. |~/     twitch,     jo4hn

It's the custom-kitchen effect! When a task intimidates (like, cooking for a critical audience), it's easy to put it off by claiming one needs a six-burner gas stove, or marble countertops, or somesuch.
So, the building trades grow a tumor that caters to high-end kitchen afficianados. The customers don't have to perform in the cookroom until the renovations are "complete" ... and completion, magically, doesn't happen quickly. The custom-kitchen builder caters to his audience by working slowly and avoiding completion (but the check-cashing part has to be quick and final, of course).
If woodwork isn't intimidating, you get a knife and a block of wood, and have at it. Then you add chisels and a bench, and saws are too useful to do without. The unintimidated woodworker always has a knife nearby. He's comfortable watching Roy Underhill, but could learn a lot from Norm Abram.
The intimidated woodworker needs an extra horsepower and deeper bandsaw throat, and often treats the wood as if it was homogeneous (he didn't do a lot of knife work, so doesn't completely understand grain). He's comfortable watching Norm, but could learn a lot from Roy.
whit3rd wrote:

Good stuff.
When I look back on the stuff I've made using inferior and fewer tools, I feel some pride and accomplishment for having done such a good job manually and using some ingenuity instead of technology.
But I also like the sense of "being there" I get from having and using a great tool. One appreciates having nice tools and what they do for you much more, when one has had to do it with less.
--

-MIKE-

I like a tool that dims the lights at turn-on....of the whole town.
Robatoy wrote:

Nice.
"Clark Griswold Woodworking"
--

-MIKE-

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 11:54:22 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Is that the equivalent of one woodworker saying to all the other woodworkers in the area that his tool is bigger then theirs?

In business, we taught what was called the 80% rule. Essentially, 20% of the time/cost/effort will result in 80% of the desired goal. The remaining 20% will take all the rest of the resources. It holds true in a shop, kitchen or construction as well as in the officeplace.
There is a reasonable level of tools and tool quality needed to efficiently do a job. I never warmed up to the Shopsmith-type of multitool, since I felt I'd be spending all my time setting it up, rather than just walking over to the right tool and doing something. I built a whole lot of stuff in my lifetime, with a lot of it made using a Sears contractor's saw as my primary shop tool.
When I finally built a dedicated shop for my woodworking hobby, I first kept the old Sears saw, adding a Sears RAS for crosscuts and a Sears compound miter saw for bevels and angles. It was only later that I sold the old contractor's saw and got a PM66. Another tool that I feel was irreplaceable was my 6 X 48" table belt sander with the 10" disk sander. I got a 12" Delta planer later on. For shaping, I first used an inverted Makita 1/2" router on a home made bench, but even after going with a floor-mounted shaper, I still used it a lot more than the shaper.
What's important, IMHO, is not so much the quality or expense of your equipment, it's how well they're set up and aligned, how sharp the blades are and how comfortable you feel using them.
--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
"Nonny" wrote:

Basic law of statistics.
70-30 and 90-10 are other variations.
Lew

That's reminds me of a pretty big mallet that I have that was made from a wooden hammer handle and a branch of a tree (directly). The unidentifiable person who made it probably did not have a Rochler nearby, but clearly knew what they were doing. It looks like a museum piece to me. When my shop is finished I may hang it on the wall for inspiration. :) If anyone would care to see it, I'll take and post a pic.
Bill

Do you have to even ask? sheesh. :-p
--

-MIKE-

I'm guessing your tablesaw shrunk. That's what happens when you wash it in hot water. Next time, use the cold setting.
krw wrote:

Did your saw get really, really, *REALLY* cold? :)
--

dadiOH

Wouldn't the insert hole get bigger if the saw got cold?
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:57:29 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

Think "pucker" as most holes do when it gets cold. :)