Canada Post shipping experience.

Page 2 of 4

The US post offices I know *can't* put something in a PO box without postage. For instance, I can't walk in and hand the clerk of the small office a letter, and ask him to put in a PO box 6 feet away, without postage.
I can't see how Canada would be different.
_Private_ mail boxes, like Mail Boxes Etc... (UPS Store) are a whole 'nuther nut, because they are really "PO Boxes", but actually a receiving service.
Barry

By now, everybody here knows that you can get your orders by UPS, but you're just too damned inept to place an order properly and specify a suitable shipper. It appears your whole life is now dedicated to being a troll. It baffles me how you get satisfaction out of being an ignorant wonder, but there it is.

You are confused.

I had some Lee Valley shipping issues where one shipper damaged several packages in a row. One package was ripped open, bagged, and contained items Lee Valley dosen't even sell, like a hair brush and a can of spray silicone. <G>
ONE short phone conversation with a very pleasant and professional CSR later, my packages were sent via other companies and the problem was solved.
Lee Valley also sent a call tag for the damaged packages so that they could take the issue to the shipper.
On 08/04/2006 7:30 PM, Upscale wrote:

It's because Canada Post wouldn't deliver his medication and he's too busy frothing at the mouth to figure out how to get it delivered to his bunker some other way.

But he is so GOOD at being an ignorant wonder!
Mike

you have to admit that because Jimmy chooses to live in a remote area, that at least his village isn't missing it's idiot.. Mac
The D Smith entity posted thusly:

Almost true. UPS (to cite just one example, will indeed deliver to a rural area. In my case, I have a PO box number, which they will not deliver to, but they will deliver to a land location.
Personally, I prefer the PO box delivery, so I don't have to be there, and I often just give the address of the post office (which is the same as the cafe, pub, and hotel), and the owner/bartender/postmaster just signs for it and I pick it up when I get the mail.

Let's make sure we have the same definition of "rural area". I'm excluding towns (which could be only a few hundred people where I am) if it's on the courier's route. By rural, I mean places that have directions that begin "at the end of the paved road..."
I haven't tried UPS, but Purolator, DHL, FedEx all will not deliver to my work location, in spite of us knowing the land location, having a street address, a sign with the street name on the nearest major road (gravel!), and a honkin' huge sign with the business name on it. We're five miles from pavement, and it's just too far out of their way. There are small, local couriers who will do it (and at least one large transport company), but the costs escalates rapidly.

The postmaster where my work mail address is (a PO box) has also suggested giving couriers the street address. And that's for an Offical, Canada Post, Post Office building. She also signs passport applications...
...and I agree: courier delivery when you're not home ends up being "hold for pickup". Some couriers (FedEX, Purolator) seem to have no problem if you tell them you want all deiveries to your address "held for pickup", but your mileage may differ.
The D Smith entity posted thusly:

Well, my place is about 3 miles off the paved road, and I can get to-the-door-delivery by specifying "NW25-18-16-W2nd" as my shipping address. It's a land location, specified as quarter-section-township-range and whatever the hell 'west of the 2nd meridian' is. UPS will deliver to my land location, and will even leave the parcel on the back porch if I'm not there, and if the weather warrants.
They will deliver to places further (way further) off the beaten track, and will tell you that if you ask about it.

Dunno about Purolator, but DHL is the most useless so-called delivery service in existence. I have had the misfortune to have dealt with them on three occasions, and in each case, they screwed up, royally. The latest fiasco was when they delivered the package to the nearest post office, when the package was clearly marked "hold for pickup", they didn't call, and when I tried to track the parcel, they couldn't tell me anything more than "It's in Regina", which it wasn't. Caused me to have to run back home to get the parcel that should have been in their depot when I went to pick it up. Just an extra 50 miles or so. What a bunch of twits!
FedEx is great for speed and for following instructions, though I've never tried to get them to deliver to my home.

Yep. You're on the northwest quarter section of the 18th township on the 16th range. Standard Canada Land Survey designation in the western provinces. There are several zones, each based on a meridian (line of longitude). The prime meridian in the system is somewhere in Manitoba, so there is a NW25-18-16 quarter section somewhere there, too. (As well as one in the zone that is west of the 3rd meridian, one in the zone east of the second, etc.) I should be able to find you pretty easily on the map...

I'll have to ask them - could be useful to know if they would deliver where I work. Out of curiosity, how much do they charge? Small courier services out of Regina seem to want about $50 to do a delivery to my work location.

They did manage to deliver one package to my work location, after trying to take it to the town the PO Box is located in. The Postmaster told them where we were... Now that they know, they just keep it at the depot and phone us to pick it up...

Pretty sure they won't, based on my experience, but things change...
The D Smith entity posted thusly:

I figured the meridian thing was something like that, but had no idea where the boundaries were.
The land location is a pretty easy way of finding someone in a rural area. I responded to a fire call today, in which the place was referred to as the 'Bennet Farm" (not the real name), and by land location. Looking at the map, I saw it was the "Smith place". Turned out the Smith putting in the call was Bennet Smith. Without the land location, there would have been no way to find it.
Worse, all farms seem to be called by the name of whoever homesteaded it 50 years ago. I have been in my place for about 5 years, and I suspect they'll start calling it by my last name just after I die, if I manage to last more than 10 or 15 years from now.

No idea. I have received only stuff for work, paid for by my employer, and haven't noticed the shipping cost.

Twenty-five years here and someone came by last year who referred to it as the "J...." farm. Didn't feel so bad, though. They left in 1942, and the next family owned it longer than I have, a fact known to the questioner, who said "we always referred to it as the J.... farm when I was growing up."
Dispatchers have a tough job. Been both dispatcher and responder in my time, and getting worthwhile information out of someone in a panic is very difficult. Not only by 'phone, either!
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

Not much overlap there. I wonder if you weren't thinking of House of Tools rather than Lee Valley.
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:18:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ucalgazry.ca (Ken Muldrew) wrote:

I just mentioned BossTools because I have spent a bundle with them lately. Much of the stuff I was buying from Lee Valley I get from either KMS tools or a local hardwood supply store.
Much of my Lee Valley purchases were purely impulse and not stuff I needed. Lot's of kitchen stuff, garden stuff, watches, cool flashlights, etc. For gifts mostly. I bought 3 boxes of veneer that I loved and haven't seen elsewhere so I will be ordering a couple more soon. I'm considering that Lee Valley vacuum press kit even though 72 bucks seems high for a plastic bag <g> but I haven't seen anything else like it.
Has anyone ever used it?

snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

I haven't but I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has.
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:32:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ucalgazry.ca (Ken Muldrew) wrote:

I have searched the net but have never been able to find anyone using such a simple device. Or how durable it is. Nor a Lee Valley customer who has one.
I have plenty of veneers that are not going to glue flat unless I use a press.

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:09:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

BTW Rob if you are reading. You could do worse then adding a page to the website for customers to post their experiences and or how to's with their purchases. I'd be happy just to read the positive ones if they give insight into using the tool. Lee Valley Reps are good but not intimately familiar with every product.
(snip)

their
using the

Hi Jimmy -
Yes - we've thought about that - but it's a maintenance/moderation nightmare; we'd have to edit for accuracy (can't let bad information stand), and monitor content....
There're lots of BB's out there for that purpose...
Cheers -
Rob

their
using the

Why? So you can have your complaints posted permanently for all to see? And in regards to experiences, isn't that what many people have done here? Aside from one or two, all experiences I've read have been positive. And for Lee Valley tools, there's been thousands of comments here in rec.woodworking.

That's not an LV problem, it's yours. Every question I've ever asked of LV's technical support has without exception, come back to me with the exact answer I was looking for or a way for me to find the answer. You'd do well to consider that with the thousands of items that LV keeps in stock, nobody is intimately familiar with everything.
You're still trolling and just so you know, I'm essentially a troll too. Only difference is that my trolling is primarily aimed at other trolls. (Just in case you were thinking of asking)