Can you help me? Portable furniture again

I've posted here before but am still needing some advice
I will become and adult college student at age 48. as such I've gotten rid of EVERYTHING furniture wise that was big and bulky and impossible to move by myself.
I'm now trying to gather furnishings that are "portable" in the sense that they can be folded up or disassembled into pieces that will easily fit into a compact car.
All I really need is one general purpose table that will be used to study off of and even eat off. It must be light strong sturdy and like I said above break down for easy transport in a car by one person
I've come across this company and the trestle table looks like it might work but its a UK company only and they cant ship out of the UK right now
http://tinyurl.com/qnd9s
So any suggestions on furnishings that meet my parameters?
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Have you considered Ikea? It's often flimsy but they do have some solid wood pieces. Check out the "table tops & legs" section of their website.
Chris

yeah
but I need something that can really pack up well..... you know?
maybe fold up. maybe disassemble into some parts that are easily carried
Wed, Aug 16, 2006, 3:58pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net doth lament: I've posted here before but am still needing some advice I will become and adult college student at age 48. <snip I'm now trying to gather furnishings that are "portable" in the sense that they can be folded up or disassembled into pieces that will easily fit into a compact car. <snip>
Sheesh, 48 and wanting someone to think for you. This is a woodworking newsgroup. Make your own. It'll be a Hell of a lot cheaper than buying, and probably sturdier. It ain't rocket science. There's plenty of free plans for stuff like that on the web, especially on some of the SACA sites, and even the Boy Scout sites. You can also check the archives, I've posted plenty of 'em in the past.
If you're willing to make your own, thes free plans'll get you started:: You wants a trestle table. http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/foldingtable.html You wants a table probably better suited to what you want. http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/about/download/camptable.pdf
But if you're still set on buying, buy a folding card table, and some folding chairs. You can eat on it, study on it, and play cards on it.
You want something different, then google.
JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| I'm now trying to gather furnishings that are | "portable" in the sense that they can be folded up or | disassembled into pieces that will easily fit into a | compact car. | | All I really need is one general purpose table that | will be used to study off of and even eat off. It must | be light strong sturdy and like I said above break down | for easy transport in a car by one person
On my last consulting stint I built dining, coffee, and end tables using essentially the same design using "I-beam" trestles (2x4 top and bottom, 2x6 center upright) with a single longitudinal stringer using bed-rail hooks to attach the stringer to the trestles. An inexpensive (undrilled) door worked for the tops. I have one of the trestles in the shop and will try to remember to take a photo today.
If you're cramped for space in your student digs, a door across the tops of a pair of 27"-high bookcases makes a spacious desk with some convient stowage space - and it's fairly easy to build KD bookcases using 1x12 boards, a 1/4" ply back, and dowel nuts.

yeah but then I have to haul the file cabinets....so that doesn't work well for me either
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| || If you're cramped for space in your student digs, a door across the || tops of a pair of 27"-high bookcases makes a spacious desk | | yeah but then I have to haul the file cabinets....so | that doesn't work well for me either
No - _not_ file cabinets. Short knock-down bookcases. Sheesh!
I just posted trestle photos to news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking (I didn't forget.)
couldn't resist, sorry, but look at www.fedexfurniture.com

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:58:16 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Target had a line of stuff a while back that came in thin boxes that would easily fit into a car- there were tables and chairs that were made of sheets of plywood that fit together with slots and tabs, and looked like they'd take less than ten minutes to put together or take apart without tools, and they were even kind of interesting to look at. I don't remember the name of the product (though I do recall it having a Scandinavian name), but I do recall the concepts involved fairly clearly- if you have a valid e-mail address to post to the group, I'd be willing to help you make up some plans or manufacture and ship them for you. If you want to keep your e-mail off the group, you can contact me at snipped-for-privacy@bloomer.net. I fiugre I could make and ship them in the US for a similar or lower price than the link you posted, depending on your specs.