Can somebody provide information about this band saw?

A friend just bought a house with a barn. In the barn is a very old band saw with the name "Walker Turner" and the serial number 19639 on it. It was behind a bunch of stuff and there was no power anyway, so I don't even know if it works. But it was VERY heavy and appeared well made. Anyway, she doesn't want it and I'm wondering if it has any value. For that matter I wonder if blades can be had for it.

Any thoughts?

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

definitely has some value. I would sure snatch it up if I had the chance! Bandsaw quality depends a lot (primarily?) on the frame, and those ancient cast iron jobs are sure nice. Even if it needs a new motor, tires, guides, etc., you'd have a fine machine, for a reasonable price. Get a bandsaw book. Blades are available in any length - most good places will weld them to custom length for you. I'd call Iturra Designs (866-883-8064, no website) - they have a great selection of good blades for good prices, as well as a variety of accessories. Call them up and ask for a catalog - the catalog has a bunch of info, and I've found their salespeople and owner very helpful too. (no affiliations, just a happy customer). Have fun with your new bandsaw, Andy

Reply to
Andy

try here:

Brian

bought a house with a barn. In the barn is a very old

powers up and the blade spins, how could I find out a fair value for it? I looked on eBay, but didn't really find anything comparable.

I know this is a "it's worth what somebody will pay" question, and if it was a stranger I'd just offer $100 and hope for the best, but it is a friend and I would like to give her fair value, and if it is more then I can afford, tell her what to look for.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jtpr

You're looking at it from the point of view of what the saw will be worth if and when it's fully restored. It's a nice sentiment and all, but considering how many hours (and probably money for some parts) you'd have to put into restoring it, giving her fair value is a relative thing. If your time is not worth anything to you and you look at it as costing you nothing, then you can go with that type of thinking. If however, your time *is* worth something to you, then offer her a lower amount and tell her that if you can restore it without too much difficulty, then you'll increase the sale price to an agreed on amount or you'll sell it as a working saw and split the profits.

I'd look at it from the point of view you'd use if you were flipping a house and decided to keep the house instead of selling it for a profit. Feeling as you do about being forthright with this women, tell her it might be worth something, but only if it's fully restored and working and that it will take considerable effort restore it. Then see if you can find a mutually agreeable price. After all, you're not thinking of buying it to make a profit. You want it so you can use it.

Reply to
Upscale