Can a plane *really* replace sanding, and which one?

Page 2 of 2

wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you would like to maximize the visual impact of the grain in your wood, there is no doubt that hand planning by a skilled craftsman will yield the best result. At the last Wood show in the Detroit area, I asked the gentleman doing the Lie-Neilson demonstration when he thought scraping was appropriate and when he prefferred a planing as a final finish. He was terrific! He spent the next hour and a half demonstrating the difference between a hand planed finish and a hand scraped finish. I would not have believed the result if I had not seen it and touched it. His hand planed finish(highly figured maple) had significantly more depth and more snap to the grain. The scraped finish appeared duller with less depth. He explained that this was because when you use a hand plane you cut through the wood fibers as opposed to scraping them. He spent a long time demonstrating his method of blade sharpening and tuning the plane. he was able to consistantly achieve shavings of 1.5-2 thousanths on an inch. So thin you could see through them. Needless to say I'm a big Lie-Nielson fan. I have a #4 and when I bought it I also bought the high angle frog. I have yet to use it.

He was doing his sales pitch. The fact that the surface was burnished by sole of the plane as opposed to merely cut - it is cutting - by the scraper made the difference. Scrape a surface, then burnish it with a nice piece of hardwood and you'll see.
I'm inclined to believe that the demo was rigged. A proprly sharpened scraper cuts chips, same as a plane. If he was getting dust (bet he was), something was not right.

Yes they can. HOWEVER you need to have a very light cut on the blade, have cambered the blade so as to not leave any plane tracks.
Took a handtool class with Rob Cosman in Canada last summer. The finish off his pieces from the LN 5 1/2 he used was perfect. If you APPLY a finish, the difference becomes moot.
Just completed and ready to finish a pair of floating shelves, I handplaned and scraped them for a bit, and then took a 1/4 sheet sander to them to fix my own errors of not cambering my blade enough. The amount of sanding was mere minutes total and I likely over did the time necessary. With the planed/scrapped surfaces, there was no need to sand out knicks or tearout from the planer. Just remove a couple of raised ridges from a knicked planer knife.
arw01 wrote:

May I ask: How are you planning to attach the shelves to the wall?
May i ask, how are you planning to attach the shelves to the wall?