CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

Page 9 of 13

Jim, these guys who are harping on the issue have been working to maximum tolerance of 1/32" for so long that they cannot imagine anyone working to tenths of a thousandth of an inch.
And because THEY can't do it, they state flatly that "nobody" in this group can.
Lloyd
On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 20:53:58 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Yes Lloyd keeping on painting with that brush. You get into many "discussions" that carry on and on?

You bitch about the color I'm using, but you don't even pay attention to what it IS.
I said, "The guys who are harping on (it)"... Not ALL woodworkers, and not everyone else; just the guys who are denying.
If you paid closer attention, you might actually not hate the 'decor'.
I'm kind of strident about 'good work' because I design machines to manufacture explosives. You don't get many 'second tries' in that endeavor.
Lloyd
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 07:07:22 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Most have not denied it just asking question to understand the jargon that does not jibe with they're own experience. Your reading of text only gives you 7% of communication at best, might want to keep that in mind.
I have been paying attention nor have I bitched, just posted an observation.
Mark
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 07:07:22 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

True indeed.
And Lloyd has a very good track record...and all of his limbs and most of his fingers.
Gunner
__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Social Equality requires that no one should be allowed to challenge their fragile self-esteem by displaying more knowledge or possessions.
The fundamental difference between right and left is that seeing innate differences prompts the right to improve themselves, the left to tear the others down and demand political cures for their psychiatric deficiencies.
jsw
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 08:26:58 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

VERY!! well stated!!
__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Me, for laser optics in the space program. They invited me in as the electronic tech, then I got the mechanical design and fab part of the job by demonstrating that I could center a gage pin to +/- one micron in a 4-jaw lathe chuck. jsw
On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 14:14:00 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Guided missiles and rockets are two different things. Nuclear missiles are "ballistic" (even they are steerable), rockets, not so much. You can't orbit an object in a ballistic trajectory. They *have* be able to correct their trajectory. Not only does/did the Shuttle have aerodynamic surfaces and steerable main engines for atmospheric corrections, it has/had OMS engines and thrusters fore, and aft, for extra atmospheric corrections.
Mike Marlow wrote:

What shuttle?
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 23:33:15 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Hardly impossible. It happens many thousands..hundreds of thousands of parts a day.

Jet engine parts, microwave wave guides, thousands of things. Most of which I was not cleared to know what they were when I ran into them.. An awful lot of optical stuff is that or more.
Shrug. And a lot of that stuff I figured would be good at +0/- .001...but..the specs...
As the truism goes...the more zeros you add to the right of the decimal point...you multiply the cost by a factor of 5-10
__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein
On 11/24/2013 12:00 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Half a thou? (NOBODY says 50 millionths!) Integrated circuit transistor sizes run less than 200 nanometers. (for CAD tolerance, not wood working, ok? Sheesh!)
Mike, as to getting to orbit, the precision required is nowhere near that tight. It's actually fairly sloppy for a successful orbit. SPEED it the key player there, not trajectory. 20,000 MPH straight down the east bound lane of I-30 will do just fine. It won't be a circular orbit, but you won't be back any time soon. :)

Half a thou isnt 50 millionths. Its only 5 tenths. Half a tenth..is 50 millionths.

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein
On 11/24/2013 12:45 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I really hate to get in to this with all of you exactimundo types with all your close tolerances but "Half a thou is not 5 tenths"
.001 / 2 =.0005 not .5
and half a tenth is not 50 millionths,
.1 / 2 =.25
Or maybe you guys are using a different kind of math....

Or MAYBE we work to such small tolerances that "tenths" in machining jargon means "tenth of a thousanth".
Lloyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> fired this volley in

or thousandth... duh. L

"Tenth" could be 1/10 of an inch, foot, mile, or in this case Mil: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mil "a unit of length equal to one thousandth of an inch"
A mil (or mill) is also 1/1000 of a dollar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_(currency) "Additionally, in finance the term is spelled "mil".
Under "Fiction" notice that Japanese isn't the only language with a word for 10,000.
jsw
On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 13:07:07 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

It certainly could be. But..in machining..its got a very specific meaning. .0001"

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

that would splain it
On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 11:49:56 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Ayup.
.0001 = 1/10th of a thousandth of an inch .00005 = 50 millionths
Ive micrometers that measure that closely. After that..I need a CMM to properly measure parts.