CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

I believe it's a quilting machine.

Reply to
none

Yeah, you know, after sending that question, and with dismal predictability, I saw the other posting about it!

Cheers!

Reply to
pastedavid

What is the tolerance for hydraulic spool valves?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I did too. The last post claims .000025" to .000040" clearance for aircraft valves.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:l6suie$fts $ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

A few tenths, usually. And then, only that close when they pay really close attention to the coefficients of expansion of the spool and the frame.

Remember that there has to be enough room between parts to develop a film of lubricating (and sealing) oil, or they don't work.

There's an old (perhaps true) mythos about when Royce/Rolls first introduced an automatic transmission. They were adamant about making it to much tighter tolerances than "consumer" trannies, because they demanded the utmost in 'quality'. Then they discovered that the valve body and shuttles HAD to be sloppy in order to work at all.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

John Browning's 1911 .45ACP:

With too tight tolerances, the pistol is unreliable in combat conditions due to mud, dirt, dust and the debris of a combat environment, and the guaranteed likelihood of not being able to keep it clean and lubricated on a regular basis.

That built in sloppiness sacrificed accuracy for reliability, but made for an excellent tradeoff for a weapon used mostly in close quarters.

Reply to
Swingman

I really hate to get in to this with all of you exactimundo types with all your close tolerances but "Half a thou is not 5 tenths"

.001 / 2 =.0005 not .5

and half a tenth is not 50 millionths,

.1 / 2 =.25

Or maybe you guys are using a different kind of math....

Reply to
Leon

Many years ago my shop foreman, that at one time lived in England and worked for Rolls, claimed that the engines used no head gaskets, the heads were bolted straight onto the blocks.

Reply to
Leon

The back frames are for all of the above. They make the piece into more of a piece of furniture than simply a cabinet with a face frame, which is how a lot of furniture is built. Having a back face frames gives the sides symmetry and allows me to add other touches should I need to decorate the sides more. And they add a lot of support and strength to the backs of the cabinet. If there is a wide adjustable shelf the back center stiles along with the front center stiles give me an additional spot to add adjustable support pins. Marys bookcases are approximately

10' wide total. IIRC the center section is about 48" wide and the tall outer cases are 36" wide. The goal with Mary's bookcases was to build cases that she could load up with books and not see any sag in the shelves. Mission accomplished.

The back face frame rabbets are actually 1/4" deep not 1/2" as I misstated above. They are 1/2" wide. And the back face frames like the front face frames receive the top, side, and bottom panels with 1/4" deep by 3/4" wide dado's and grooves. I typically use a 5/8" inch #6 pan head screw to attach the backs for easily removal. Sometimes a mirror is call for instead of a solid panel.

Bottom and top panels fit into dado's at the bottom and top of the side panels.

Dry fit prior to gluing the cabinets will stand up on their own.

Reply to
Leon

Likely jet engine parts but certainly not the galley cabinets.

Perhaps if the shuttle couldn't alter its trajectory (but orbital mechanics aren't known to that precision, anyway - three body problem). However, it does (did) have engines intended to make such corrections.

Reply to
krw

That is a dedicated sewing machine that is know as a Long Arm Sewing Machine. It's sole purpose is to attach the top, inner padded layer, and bottom parts of a quilt together.

The three sections of the quilt pieces are rolled up on to the front two poles then through the needle and foot of the machine then behind and up the back bottom pole and would up on the back upper take up pole.

The machine rolls back and forth on the tracks, 11' wide, and it moves forward approximately 12~14". With this X,Y movement the operator can sew a freehand or laser guided pattern through all layers of the quilt left to right or right to left 12~14 deep at a time. Once a pass is made the sewn portion of the quilt is roll up on the upper back take up real and a new row of sewing begins.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for the explanation Leon, much appreciated. I'd wondered how they do that sort of thing!

Reply to
pastedavid

Leon fired this volley in news:6sCdncLoho-

1ug snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Or MAYBE we work to such small tolerances that "tenths" in machining jargon means "tenth of a thousanth".

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Leon fired this volley in news:j- GdncRZFoKltQ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

My Deutz tractor is the same way. Precise construction. The heads are made with a shallow taper joint, and they bolt directly onto the cylinders (air-cooled, so the cylinders bolt TO the block, rather than being a part of it).

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA282829C2AD48lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

or thousandth... duh. L

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Tenth" could be 1/10 of an inch, foot, mile, or in this case Mil:

"a unit of length equal to one thousandth of an inch"

A mil (or mill) is also 1/1000 of a dollar:

"Additionally, in finance the term is spelled "mil".

Under "Fiction" notice that Japanese isn't the only language with a word for 10,000.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

that would splain it

Reply to
Leon

Half a TENTH. I woke up in the middle of the night and realized I wrote that wrong.

Reply to
Richard

"Mike Marlow" fired this volley in news:l6tivv$efn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Not for nothin', but precision bearings are machined to 10 microinches all the time -- and they're CHEAP!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Ayup.

.0001 = 1/10th of a thousandth of an inch .00005 = 50 millionths

Ive micrometers that measure that closely. After that..I need a CMM to properly measure parts.

Gunner

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Reply to
Gunner Asch