CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

Page 7 of 13
On 11/25/2013 5:39 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Ahhhh, learning to build with expensive wood. Buy a beautiful piece of walnut, bring it home and mill it to thickness, straighten one edge then the other, and cut to length. Oppps, 1/16" too short, cut it again, still too short. Redraw the plans slightly smaller, start over.... Eventually it is built and you sand the beautiful surfaces through 3 grits and it is finally ready for the finish. Open the can and roll the paint on!
On 11/25/2013 5:39 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I've built a couple of airplanes that way.
We call it steel tube blacksmithing...

http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/getting-to-submicron-accuracy "The axis position feedback system uses a 0.5-nanometer scale to reliably track axis motion commands programmable in steps as small as 10 nanometers."
I've watched a large aspherical Germanium infrared camera lens being diamond-turned to a mirror-like submicron finish on a CNC lathe.
http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/ORD_RWS_Kongsberg_M151_Protector_on_M1126_Stryker_Mosul_lg.jpg
All you demonstrate is that YOU don't know how to do this.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Yes that machine should be able to cut 3d parts so they match the 3d computer geometry to within a tenth. However, the CAD model of the part can be made a million times more accurate than even that machine can manufacture.
I didn't say there were no way to produce complicated 3d parts that are within a tenth of the 3d CAD model. I said that I doubt anyone reading this was doing that. You still haven't changed my mind.

Turning something on a lathe doesn't need a 3d model. That is not 3d machining.
And watching someone else do it doesn't count as doing.

You are demonstrating my point that petulant misfits will snatch at any excuse to belittle capable people.
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:43:14 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

You powers of perception is great, you can and do read way more than is said.

I didn't mean you, but if the shoe fits...
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 13:10:08 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

I have noted that some in rec metal are a bit on the brainy side eh? At least in they're attempts at insults.

    [ ... ]

    Turning an *aspherical* lens does need a model, and a very precise and mathematically complex one at that, to cause it to focus where it should. And you can't check a Germanium lens by the techniques used for visible-light lenses -- they are opaque to visible light, so you want it cut right the first time. Same applies to silicon lenses. I've seen both used in various experimental Infrared cameras.

    He did not say that he was watching someone else do it. He was watching the *machine* do it. No *human* does it with CNC. At best s/he feeds the data to a program which generates the motions necessary to produce the surface to feed to the CNC machine tool.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 11/25/2013 9:24 AM, jim wrote:

I'm going to take exception to your wording in your last paragraph. Maybe I misunderstood.
I was an AutoCAD user for about 8 years, other CAD programs since 1986.
Anyway I am a furniture designer and builder. I have completely converted over to Sketchup.
Now where I might be confused with your wording is that if I draw something that is 4" long it is precisely 4" If I draw 4.015625, I get a line that is 4 1/64" long, precisely.
Now if you are talking about a higher degree of resolution, I would a agree that Sketchup begins to round after the fourth digit right of the point. .0001
In woodworking drawings it it is typically not necessary to measure in increments that are smaller than 32ths of an inch.".
While that is true, Sketchup can still very accurately draw in increments that are 1/64" or greater. Anything with in that resolution works out just fine.
And for what it is worth, You can type in precise distances just like with a CAD program with in the resolution that Sketchup operates.
After drawing a complex piece of furniture with Sketchup, sometimes with hundreds of separate components I use a plug in program that takes the exact over all dimensions of every component and imports that data, accurately, into an optimization program that has my inventory of materials. I cut the components overall sizes using the optimization program with no reference to the Sketchup drawings of the actual project.
I will reference the drawings for specific details for each component that may need to have tenons, dado's, slots, mortices, ect.
On 11/25/2013 10:47 AM, Leon wrote:

Only for presentation, and depending upon the resolution you have set.
For dimensional computations, SketchUp still uses its internal accuracy, the same as AutoCAD.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/25/2013 11:00 AM, Swingman wrote:

Speaking of which, I have a plug in for chaining the units, precision of the units, type of units, etc with out having to open up the Sketchup Dialog box.
On 11/25/2013 11:00 AM, Swingman wrote:

Here, do this:
Open SU, go to Go to Window|Model Info|Units|Fractional and choose 1/64" or whatever Format you desire .
Now, draw a rectangle of any size using the rectangle tool
Select the rectangle and right click Area|Selection
You will see a number representing the area of the rectangle you selected to .000000 precision.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/25/2013 11:13 AM, Swingman wrote:

Understood, I was talking more about the actual drawn dimension having limitations to their resolution.
On 11/25/2013 12:52 PM, Leon wrote:

Like this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BlpE8eDGxPRV1nIUL5oqrdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/25/2013 1:00 PM, Swingman wrote:

No, can you think/tell me what that converts to as a fraction off the top of your head? LOL My calculated industries calculator can't either. ;~)
I like to see fractions, on my drawings, that I can actually come close to reproducing. ;~)
A bit off topic, I checked the outside temp a few minutes ago, 42.51232367 degrees F.

Weather is usally single digit precision. Usually.
(Grin)

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

The measurements may be, but climatologists know the rate of global warming to a tenth of a degree.
On 11/25/2013 5:59 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Makes for much more sensationalism when graphing and discussing rates of change, akin to measuring crude oil spills in gallons, instead of the standard unit of barrels.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/25/2013 6:07 PM, Swingman wrote:

Or,,,,,, OR,,,,...... .0055556455566 Tanker loads.