CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

Page 12 of 13

To be used as evidence against us! L

Oh No, not that Thanksgiving Day Masacree again!
On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:02:11 -0800, pyotr filipivich

True indeed.

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein
Troll...
--
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

On 11/20/2013 8:23 PM, John Doe wrote:

Not unless you make you living using the program and need that feature.
On 11/20/2013 8:23 PM, John Doe wrote:

No. I use the Pro version of SketchUp and rarely have a need for the "solid modeling tools", which are mainly an alternate, but more convenient, way to do something that can be done other ways with the free version.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

2-D Cad is exactly what 2-D says -- it is two dimensional, period. But if all you want to do is draw, not design, you will have more functionality than you need with pretty much any 2-D package.
On the other hand, if you want to DESIGN in 3 dimensions, a 2-D package is about as useless as a screen door on a submarine. Others have mentioned AutoCAD and SketchUp and I have heard they work well.
Personally, I use Pro-Engineer for the simple reason that I didn't have to take the time to learn it. It was what I used as a design engineer before I retired. The power of Pro-E for designing woodworking projects is like hitting a thumb tack with a sledge hammer. But it sure is easy for me!
On 11/21/2013 12:39 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I did a lot of 3D work on a drafting table, so I disagree with what you said here. A LOT of drafting was done before computers evolved to help out.
On 11/21/2013 2:22 PM, Richard wrote:

Well, he did specifically say 2-D CAD. I too was formally trained long before computers and drew isometric. But none of my drawings and or the 2D CAD programs let you spin the 3D object or view inside out. ;~)
IIRC AutoCAD LT was able to do isometric drawings but you could not change the angle of view of that object. That was several years ago so maybe things have changed with the software.

Tell me what was designed on a board that wasn't 3D??? What did I say that you disagree with... the part about the screen door being useless?
On 11/21/2013 4:53 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I noticed that this thread is cross posted and apparently some of the AR responders are taking parts of what we say and rewording those comments to compose arguments into what they apparently think makes them look like experts.

Are you trying to tell me they are democrats?!
On 11/21/2013 8:13 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/21/2013 8:13 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Well I was trying to not go potty mouth but now it is out there and it can't be unsaid. ;~)
On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 00:09:04 +0000 (UTC), John Doe

What is Sketchup Pro 2013? Versus Sketchup Make?
__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

If you can visualize the part you want to make, a pencil is all you need to capture it. The designers of this didn't need no stinkin CAD: http://www.paradoxplace.com/Photo%20Pages/France/Chartres/Chartres%20Cathedral.htm
If you can't create it in your head then CAD won't help you. It doesn't recognise your conceptual errors. I've embarrassed a few engineers by pointing out why I couldn't make what they had drawn.
http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/cog_imposs1/devilsfork.gif
jsw
On 11/23/2013 7:24 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Obviously not, but with CAD it might not have taken 56 years to build either. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Their problem wasn't just drafting, they didn't know how to combine lateral thrust vectors on the columns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Stevin http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/565994/Simon-Stevin
jsw
On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 08:24:19 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Like this one?
http://www.reocities.com/omegaman_uk/percept/PERCEPT2.gif
__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

    You don't need CAD to make an original drawing.
    But CAD sure comes in handy when you are attempting to make revisions to that drawing.

    Somewhere I have the storage crate design for that ...