CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

Page 11 of 13
Richard wrote:

I know you did. And it scared all your neighbors away!. :)
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Yeah well, I didn't like them anyway... :)
Richard wrote:

There's a lot of that going around. :(
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

They don't stack their trash cans in my driveway. I appreciate that...
Richard wrote:

The only good neighbors I've had around here have either moved away, or died.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Unless you know more than the basics. Shrug.
This one will hold half tenths all day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKizLfzz7GM

So will this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyRBbGb2UDA

And neither are expensive machines. Shrug
This one..is an expensive machine..and its a mill..not a grinder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n2w868R9v0

Notice the raw metal removal is done dry. Thermal shock would explode the ceramic cutter if done wet.
Gunner

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Try this: https://archive.org/details/accuratetoolwor00stangoog
jsw
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 08:00:57 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

(which sits in the "Technical/Difficult Shit" shelf of my library.
Thanks!
Gunner
__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

    It is one of those spirals, that each improvement in one area, eventually chases around until you are back where you were, wishing you had a "better" one of "these" to take advantage of the new and improved other thing. The invention of "tool steel", then tungsten carbide, then ceramics, all let more material be removed per pass, but after a while, the machines are too slow, so you need faster machines (meaning bearing, among other things) and more rigid machines to keep the cutting edge where you want / need / expect it, and then "better" measuring devices in order to tell the difference, and so on and so forth. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."

    I'll take your word for it. My experience differs. So what? I must have been in the wrong plants. Boeing only insisted on 30 thou. And Jorgensen only insisted that the part be consistently within 4 tenths of what ever final dimension in the "regular" tolerance you reached - over a ten to fifteen foot part. On a manual lathe. (But I never got to work on any of those jobs.)
    OTOH, I have worked places where we measured each part, trying to keep up with the thermal expansion as the day warmed up.

    Just lean on the machine, that will flex it enough. B-) -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 21:09:48 -0800, pyotr filipivich

Which is why most good inspection departments are kept at 68' and is so noted on the print. Had one of my clients crank out some 1500 parts EXACTLY to spec...in August. and their air conditioning was down for a week or so.
When they went to the clients QA...they were considerably smaller than expected. Fortunately..it was a RCH this side of being in tolerance..if you held your head just right...but it was the first time in 15 yrs that either side got into a pissing contest with each other. And it wasnt Boeing ..but MD.
You were just cutting parts for Boing! that required .03 tolerances. Some of their other stuff...very small tenths
Speaking of RCH...do our woodworking compadres know about RCH and the other colors of tolerance?
(VBG)
Gunner
__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Well, I for one do. But my experiences with them had nothing to do with woodworking and <sigh> were long ago :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

ROFLMAO!!
__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

    Company I was at for a while, one of the guys pointed at a part, sitting on the floor. It was right at the minimum of the +/- tolerance. As this was a part which would be under a lot of pressure on a ship at sea, the company and the customer were going round and round as to whether or not it met the spec. Good news: they weren't going to take it out of Jim's pay, as it was twice what he made a year.

    Probably over in the hard metal's side of the house. But then again, I was just knocking out Aluminum stuff in a high speed production shop.

    RCH - Real Cherry Hardwood? -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 13:46:18 -0800, pyotr filipivich

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair%27s_breadth
For you Commonwealth folks...refer to #10 http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=R.C.H .
http://www.nuskoolbreaks.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f &ta492&start
Gunner
__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein
On 11/21/2013 11:22 AM, Richard wrote:

LOL I'm a stickler for precision, but WTF do you need better tolerances than 1/1000 inch when woodworking? :~)

    B-) wood moves that much if you breath on it.
    Sides, with wood, "Cut to fit, sand to shape, paint to match." B-) -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On 11/21/2013 1:34 PM, Leon wrote:

I don't use Design CAD for woodworking only.
microns, angstroms, etc?
If this troll wants to discuss complex CAD programs, it should grow a pair and start its own thread without "simple" in the subject line...
--
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 07:53:57 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    I think that is given away in the name. After all, it is called "Sketch up" not "Drafting".
    As any engineer/designer will tell you - everything starts with a "sketch", be it a literal "drawing on a paper napkin" to "it will sort of look like this ..." drawing in a CAD Program. Just show shapes, relationships and maybe some sizes. What will eventually wind up plotted on a C size page started as "isometric" shapes quickly sketched on notepaper, "with circles and arrows and a paragraph ... describing what each one was..."
tschus pyotr