CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

Yah think?

Try it in a engine block.

Indeed it is!!

Gunner

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Weather is usally single digit precision. Usually.

(Grin)

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Reply to
Gunner Asch

For my circuit board layouts granularity was the snap-to grid spacing, usually 0.010" or 0.0125" which are 1/100 or 1/80 of an inch.

The resolution was usually 0.002", the size step between track widths and pad diameters.

The accuracy of the CAD data was 1 micron.

The tolerance was defined as how much larger a pad must be than the hole drilled through it, to ensure that the drilled hole didn't break through the outer circumference. IOW it was the allowable misregistration between the etched copper circuit and the drill machine. It was a manufacturing constraint, not a designer's choice.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

LOL Actually spent a good part of my yoot as a horseshoer, doing hand forged, corrective shoeing.

Damned hard to 'dimension' a part, other than by eye, that's cherry red. Amazing how accurate some blacksmith's "eye" can get, though. :)

Woodworkers call it, measure twice, cut once, pound to fit.

Reply to
Swingman

For you Commonwealth folks...refer to #10

Gunner

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The measurements may be, but climatologists know the rate of global warming to a tenth of a degree.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Makes for much more sensationalism when graphing and discussing rates of change, akin to measuring crude oil spills in gallons, instead of the standard unit of barrels.

Reply to
Swingman

NOT that kind of joint! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Ahhhh, learning to build with expensive wood. Buy a beautiful piece of walnut, bring it home and mill it to thickness, straighten one edge then the other, and cut to length. Oppps, 1/16" too short, cut it again, still too short. Redraw the plans slightly smaller, start over.... Eventually it is built and you sand the beautiful surfaces through 3 grits and it is finally ready for the finish. Open the can and roll the paint on!

Reply to
Leon

Well, if you're going to give someone the shaft, you might as well do it right. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I know you did. And it scared all your neighbors away!. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ROTFLMAO!

No kidding I just read, and it has to be true cuz i read it on the internet, that scientist have decided that we in north America and in Europe we are headed doe a mini ice age. Apparently the SUN, that's right THE SUN has been causing the earth to get warm! Well apparently the sun has been falling down on the jolately, maybe the people working for Al Gore gave up. The sun has had much fewer than expected sun spots and as a result we are going to experience colder weather. I always called the global warming thing summer.

Anyway how are we going to be able to afford changing things here on earth so that the sun is not affected, which in turn keeps us from turning into an ice cube???

Leon

Or,,,,,, OR,,,,...... .0055556455566 Tanker loads.

Reply to
Leon

Bzzzzt ... Gotta be teacups, or the granularity is off. LOL

Reply to
Swingman

Traceable to NIT?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've built a couple of airplanes that way.

We call it steel tube blacksmithing...

Reply to
Richard

Sorry. Old news.

Ol' Sol caught up with the curve last week.

Reply to
Richard

Yeah well, I didn't like them anyway... :)

Reply to
Richard

Indeed. How is the government going to justify raising taxes because of global COOLING?

Fire the astronomers. They're ruining the scam!

Reply to
krw

Same folks that are running obamacare.

Reply to