cabinet shelves options

Page 3 of 3
On 10/25/2010 8:28 PM, Bill wrote:

Bill, there is no exposed end grain in cabinet blocking ... the 2 x 4, or 2 x 6 cabinet blocking is fitted in between the studs, similar to fire stop blocking in stud walls, except with the wide face out.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Cabinet blocking appears to be a great way to deal with walls that aren't flat too (and that must include most of them)! Pretty cool.
Bill

No, the blocking would follow the same curve the tubafores did before it. No change. Scribing gets you a flat cabinet.
That drywall book I told you about has some tips on curvy walls. A single cut with a recip saw can allow the bow out of a tubafore, with a piece of 2x4 sistered on the side to regain the lost rigidity.
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales
I did all the cross blocking in my outside, insulated, vapour barriered wall. Think I even used 2x12?? The installer put his screws in the studs anyway. I guess I needed to be more knowledgable about cabinet hanging heights or better yet, do it myself...yes that would have avoided some of the turmoil and possible legal...well never mind...hazard of having some knowledge.
Bill, there is no exposed end grain in cabinet blocking ... the 2 x 4, or 2 x 6 cabinet blocking is fitted in between the studs, similar to fire stop blocking in stud walls, except with the wide face out.
On 10/25/2010 8:28 PM, Bill wrote: If you had not suggested it, I might have worried about the end grain holding the screws in your blocking boards.
On 10/25/2010 9:51 AM, HerHusband wrote:

A good tip when mounting cabinets to the walls these days is to use "Spax" screws.
These things have an amazing sheer strength and holding power ... much more than lag screws of the same size, need no pilot hole, have less tendency to split wood, and self countersink.
Highly recommended for attaching kitchen cabinets to wall studs and blocking.
Some Borg's even carry them now. And McFeely's is a given.
Downside is the price, but if you want each component in a kitchen job to do its part in the best possible manner, they're cheap at twice the price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 10/25/10 10:31 AM, Swingman wrote:

I love those things. The price isn't that much higher, but the quality is.
--

-MIKE-