Cabinet Saw time

Page 1 of 3
I have been waiting some time for this as I sold off my Delta contractor saw last fall and have been out of the country quite a bit since then. I had settled on the Grizzly G1023SLW with the router insert in the wing. It was out of stock until last week and I was going to order it now since I will be coming in from offshore next week. Now in my inbox I see Rockler has the Jet 10" 3HP left tilt for $100.00 off and free shipping. I really don't need the router wing insert as I have a BenchDog system with a Hitchi 12V. Any thoughts on one over the other? Not trying to restart any Griz/Jet wars here; just looking for experience and opinions. I'm going to order one in the next couple of days...
TIA,
Paul (Floating in the Gulf O' Mexico)
I have owned a Grizzly 1023S for five years and couldn't be happier. When I started my search Unisaw and Jet were initially at the top of the pile. Got a chance to have a Griz demonstrated at the Springfield store. Then their customer service gave me names of a couple of guys in my are that owned them. That sealed it. Very quick truck delivery and easy setup. No problems since.
BTW, I just added a router table outside of the existing cast iron wing on mine (between the regular length fence rails). Pretty much made from stuff I had in the shop. It ends up being about the same size as the SLW but lighter. I didn't add the legs because they aren't needed. However, for the difference between prices of the "S" (or "SL") and the "SLW" -- the SLW doesn't look like a bad deal.
RonB

I have the Jet 3hp left tilt, package price included the longer fence with a router table and a decent Bosch router to boot. I've used it for nearly a year now with no complaints at all, huge step up from my old Craftsman saw. Only comment about the Jet, they don't bevel the front edge of the cast iron extensions, leaving a fairly sharp exposed edge. I'm sure there is some reason why they don't (for those of us who occasionally confuse our rights with our lefts maybe) but it is something contend with. - no experience with Grizzly, but from what I've seen in this ng, many happy owners of both.
Good luck with your new saw, I hope you are as happy with the upgrade as I was.
Jeff
Local supplier delivered the saw, took a day or so to get it set up (I move a bit slower these days...)

I too am a happy owner of a Jet. I'm fairly sure that all major manufacturers do not bevel the wings. This is because the main to an wings are ground flat separately, and milling matching the bevels separately would be difficult.
-Steve

This is because the main to an wings

Well, I too have had the Jet for 7 years and am very happy with it.
As for the bevel, it would not be difficult to mill the bevel on the extensions. If they can mill a flat surface milling the wings would not be a problem either. As a fatter of fact, The Powermatic 2000 has a bevel all the way across the front edge.
The wings extensions are not milled on the Jet for two reasons. 1. If you milled a bevel on the front of the extensions to match the TS main table you would cut through the iron. The wings are not as thick on the front side as the main saw table is. 2. The bevel is to prevent the "stock" miter gauge face from catching as you push it over the edge. The "stock" miter gauge is narrow enough that a bevel on the wings are not required.
Leon wrote:

3. Not milling a bevel on the extension tables allow for a single casting to be flipped around and used on either the right or left side of the main table.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

If price is not longer a factor, either would probably be a good choice. I personally don't like having a built in router as I like to have separate setups. I have the Bench Dog station also.
It may all boil down to whether you want a near white saw that reflects light better than green. LOL
On another note, Jet dealers are all over the place. Grizzly has 3 or 4 locations. This may or may not be a factor for you.
I personally have the Jet left tilt and expect it to out last me. I have had to make no miter slot to saw blade adjustments in the 7 years that I have owned it. Would I buy again? I would strongly reconsider Jet, Laguna, Powermatic 2000, and the SawStop. I'd probably end up with the Laguna or the SawStop.

I have decided on a General (General Industrial is an off-shore version). They're worth looking into.

I will probably be upgrading soon, too. We finally have a General distributor here in town, and I swear the General saw I looked at reminded me of the old Green Delta from my school shop in '70. Everything was heavy duty, smooth, and just plain nice. The only short coming was the fence on the one I looked didn't feel quite as positive (could have been their setup) as others I have used.
I hope if you buy one you will post a review.
Robert

We're past the 'if' part. I'm looking for a deal at this point and I am looking into a sliding table attachment for it too. Last time I fired one up, all I heard was the soft whistling of the wind through the blade's teeth. Their Canadian made version of the T-fence is just fantabulous. I like those General people, they're hanging in there, damn the torpedoes. Their off-shore stuff isn't too shabby either. A friend of mine bought a big General International planer from them and it is NICE.
This is the saw I'm drooling over. (c model with t-fence)
http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/50220220ca.html

General people, they're hanging in >there, damn the torpedoes. Their off-shore stuff isn't too >shabby either. A friend of

I have looked at some of the General Interplanetary stuff (for those playing along) and it looks first rate to me.
But the "General" brand just seem to remind me of the old iron days. When the guy that turned the saw on for me looked at my face, he sure got the expected response. It sounded like some kind of all ball bearing fan. Just a kind of turbine sound, then up to speed immediately.
BTW, as a testimony to the accuracy and longevity of the General saw line, the distributor is Jointech (their home in sunny San Antonio is about 7 miles from my house), manufacturer of various goodies for the table saw to make exotic joints, or just plain accurate joints.
These guys could use any saw they wanted, and they chose General, even when they had to order them in. They liked the sturdy reliability of the saws, and the fact they could pack them in the trailer for woodworking shows and they didn't need to be fully aligned even after bouncing around for weeks from city to city.
I think they got the idea to sell them when doing their demos that many wanted to have the whole "setup" they were using in the demos and classes. To top it off, they even use them in their newly completed classrooms. To me, that says a lot about the General. A whole lot - these guys are selling accuracy.

I don't know what model it was I looked at. But on further reflection, I am thinking that since they hooked it up with their own (Jointech) guides maybe they ordered the lowest end stock fence they could. That would make sense to me - why order the high end stuff when you are just going to take it off?
Sure looking forward to that review!!
Robert

Ohhh.. I didn't know that they were importing from out there yet. ;~)

I agree with you on that comment but different style saw blades can make a saw sound different. ;~) I am not saying that they had one of those "special demo blades on the saw to make it shound like some kind of all ball bearing fan. A well built piece of machinery does have that unmistakable smooth and kinda soothing sound.

Boy that says a lot too. At the last woodworking show a major player used that excuse to explain why their tools were not up to expectations.

I see that the General has a 2HP motor compared to the 3 HP on the Grizz & Jet. Will this make much of a difference to the weekend woodworker. I don't foresee me ripping 12/4 hardwoods. (could happen though I suppose) I would imagine mostly I would be cutting dimensioned woods. I have also heard that the General Int'l goods are not up to par with the General Canada units. I have been away from the rec for quite some time now so am a little out of touch on the latest happenings. The General hybrid would be roughly the same price as the Grizzly by the time I pay taxes and shipping from Woodcraft in Minneapolis and only a hundred or so less than the Jet on special.
Geez, buying a saw is kind of like buying a car eh? Far too many choices. :-)

I believe that this particular saw with the 2hp motor is one of the newer type hybrid Table saws, My first clue was the smallish wheels for setting the bevel and height. Then I think I confirmed with the 2 hp motor that you also observed. The hybrid is typically more than a contractors saw and has some of the nice features of a typical cabinet saw. Typically the "standard" cabinet saw has at least 3 hp and runs on 220 volt or more. As far as the international series being up to par, that may or not be true, they may be better in some cases. The international series are Asian built IIRC and this may or may not be a plus.
That said, for a weekend woodworker this saw should be plenty. For many many years I used a Craftsman 1 hp saw with a quality blade. The key to getting the most out of your power is to use the best saw blade that you can afford. Regardless of what brand I strongly recommend the regular kerf vs. a thin kerf blade. While a thin kerf blade does in fact make you think that you have increased your hp, the trade off is that your cuts are "not always" as true as what a regular sized kerf blade will deliver. I used thin kerf and regular kerf on the 1 hp Craftsman and once I found a premium quality regular kerf blade I never even considered going back to a thin kerf. I have been using a 3 hp Jet cabinet saw for the last 7 years and use the WWII reg kerf 40 tooth blade for "All" cutting. If your sawing will include thick cutting you may want to consider going with a standard Cabinet saw and the 3 hp motor. I have resawed Ipe with the blade all the way up and fully buried inside a 1x6 with no hesitation or strain from the motor. Ipe is approximately 2.5 times harder than Oak.

About three/four years ago I had the opportunity to do a few test cuts with a Canadian made, General 350. I don't recall the fence being a problem during the hands-on, but it may even have been an aftermarket fence.
Fence notwithstanding, to one very used to a UniSaw, the General 350 was an impressive piece of machinery.
FWIW, and based on that brief experience, and if I did not already own a UniSaw, I would not hesitate to go with a General 350, no matter what it took.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

one has to pay a premium for locally made stuff. I guess it all depends on how much money the owners feel they need to make.

This particular saw is a Hybrid, right? 2hp

Compared to their 650/350 it would be considered a hybrid. Your description of what a hybrid is, is how see it as well. A contractor saw with a better table and base. But I have been around saws long enough to know that a good contractor saw is better than a bad cabinet saw. And you are so right about the choice of blades... they make the truly BIG difference. But for me, right now, the difference in price between a 650/350 and the smaller saw is what will pay for the shipping of the Bot. I will build a monster outfeed table for the smaller saw with storage underneath, that's what's on the drawing board right now. I know my work flow pretty well and the saw will be part of the rough sizing department, along with a cutting station for long strips. The machining will be done by the bot, as will the cook-top and sink cut-outs. The Bot will never be used for fun things like signs and cabinet parts right? Right. Yuppers, for sure. Then the machined parts will go to the fabricating section which will be enclosed for temperature-, dust- and noise control. A part of that will be finishing section for all the same reasons, but with way heftier lighting.
r---> cleaning the bikes and going for a ride. I'll have a sore asstonight, but for different reasons than the sore ass I got when I sent in my taxes. But if I want Freedom Fries, I have to peddle to get them.

have to do this in two buildings.
If so, will there be any problem with moving the materials between buildings? Either in terms of moving carts over less than smooth surfaces or exposure to the weather?

I've been riding pavement all week, capped off by a ~ 3 hour mountain bike ride this morning.
We could have ridden all day, but my ride mate had a stick wind his rear derailluer into the rear wheel of his Intense. 8^0 Gave me a good excuse to go home and bleed the Hayes brakes on my Giant.
Nothing like a good sore ass!