Buying from e-bay

Page 3 of 3
Trent wrote:

Trent, believe whatever you want to, the fact is that nearly all states have a "use tax" that is equal to the sales tax and that you are required by law to pay on purchases made from out of state sources. Since there is no obligation for out of state sources to report such sales, the state generally has difficulty enforcing such a provision. But every once in a while such a vendor gets audited, and the out of state sales get reported to the appropriate taxing authorities. There was a place up in Springfield, MA, that got audited that way a while back--I was one of the out of state customers who got a bill from my state for use tax.
The real question is how much risk you are willing to tolerate.

--
--John
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 02:34:11 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"

Speak for yourself on the Kansas part there, Tom.
On the rest of it, you've got it right. Purchasing something out of state (or online) doesn't exempt the purchase from sales tax in your home locale. Recently, the Kansas legislature even went one step farther. Anything purchased in Kansas, by a Kansas resident, is supposed to be charged the sales tax rate effective in the buyer's home area. So, if you live in a city or county with a high local sales tax you can't avoid the tax by purchasing in some other political jurisdiction
I think that turned into such an implementation and enforcement nightmare that it has been "temporarily" put on hold while the legislature/courts/etc. scratch their heads over what to do about it.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

in my state they ask on your state income tax form of any purchases via catalog, internet or from tv ads... they want you to list the cost and then want a 8 percent tax on that.... state keeps 4 % adn the county get 4%............
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:40:00 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@sprynet.com"

Does your state ask you to write a zero if you purchased nothing without the sales tax being collected, or do you simply leave the section blank?
I always got a kick out of Connecticut's attention to detail around this issue. <G>
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

dont remember, but its probably something that you have to check off??

No, you can't and do not either. I bought 3 diamod blade for $0.98 very good price, but paid $18 for shipping where actual shipping on the package was like $3.50, so I can say I got 3 Blade for $16.00. Look for the additional costs allways before you bid. Max