Buying from e-bay

Page 2 of 3

Our experience differs. When I report it, I give the item numbers, seller IDs, bidder IDs, and so on related to it, doing their homework for them so it's convenient to see the pattern immediately. Maybe you have done it differently.

Right, it's a big conspiracy, that's it.

yet
corner...goes
Of course, how are you going to report it without the specifics? "uh, ebay, someone is using shills..."

No, just a lack of concern. Simple as that.
-Jack

Our experience differs.

Our experience, and impression, differs. But the nice thing is, you're free to not use eBay, isn't that wonderful news?

Do you really think Ebay has some magic bullet to stop all schills? ARe the same exact Ebay users still schilling after your report?

Ebay wants customers to come back again, and customers won't come back if they fell Ebay isn't handling problems like shills that end up costing customers more money.
Brian Elfert
...S&H not always listed up front my friend...on bigger/heavier stuff the S&H is calculated AFTER the auction has ended...guess that's where I've been burned.
My mistake for lumping everybody into the same category, but then again on the smaller light-weight stuff, I usually need it now and still haven't seen any real bargains on EBay that come close to HD retail. I truly hate the place with a passion but all things considered, you get to see what you are buying and get to take it home with you.
wrote:

and
they
Xmas
me
end up

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 02:26:43 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"

How hard is it to ask for an estimate during the auction?
Example:
Dear seller, How much to ship the fruraffer to 06016?
Thanks, Potential Bidder
No satisfactory answer = no bid
Barry

The better sellers quote shipping charges in the listing. If they don't I ask what shipping will be. If I don't get a reasonable figure, or I get BS, I won't bid. I've found that patience is rewarded, and biding my time will allow me to find what I want at a price and terms I'm willing to pay. Excessive postage always gets noted in my feedback, which may not be negative. If I do get burned I will leave negative feedback, and that seller has lost me as a buyer for ever. I won't tolerate anonymous abuse and come back for seconds. Good luck, bid smart, have fun.
Dan
Most ebay sellers are us. Normal people with jobs who prefer dealing online than hanging out a shingle and having a yard sale. They neither know nor care what the actual shipping charge will be by the time they pack the thing and take it down to the post office or UPS.
I have sold... let's see... 36 items on ebay in the past 5 years, and have probably made out even with shipping, or maybe lost a bit. Even when I weigh whatever it is and look it up, the actual cost comes out different.
It is true, some sellers quote a little high to make up the difference and call it a handling charge. Some actually work a handling charge into their calculations. Some lie about it outright. The bottom line is, if there is a shipping charge quoted on the item, believe it, no matter what the stamp says when you get it. If not, you're probably being charged something close to actual costs.
Yes, there are probably some ebay sellers who need to make an extra few bucks by over-charging on shipping, but they are in the minority. My advice would be, unless you are talking about a large amount here, let it go, or buy from another seller. There are better ways to save a buck or two.
Paul O. wrote:

ranted:

If you cared about your business or your customers, you'd invest in a new/used scale and KNOW how much it costs to ship things before they're sold. I'm now using Stamps.com and they gave me a free 5 lb digital scale. I can re-zero it to weigh a lot more. It helps me to set my pricing beforehand. The USPS gives you downloadable charts and software to check pricing from zip to zip, so what's the deal? You'd probably sell more if customers knew exactly what they would be charged ahead of time. I won't buy an item without knowing the actual shipping cost. I had someone like you, who didn't quote a price, go down to a shipping place and had them put it in a box and ship it. A 3-pound item cost me nearly $17 in shipping & handling through them while I could have shipped it for $5. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! --- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

Read what he said. A person having a yard sale is not interested in running a business, he's interested in getting rid of some stuff that he doesn't need and prefers selling it to someone else over tossing it in the trash.
Even if you have the most sophisticated scale in the world, you don't know what the shipping will be until you know the destination.

Most ebay sellers do say exactly what will be charged ahead of time. But it's usually more than the postage.

The actual cost or the actual amount that you will be charged for shipping?

--
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Bingo

I have purchased many items on E-bay also and I agree with other responses the shipping prices stated includes a profit or handling charge as more commonly called. If the S & H charge is not stated ask the seller before bidding. Sometimes I notice that the price is almost at cost and seller makes up part of the profit with S & H. As always "Caveat Emptor".

I have sold some items on E Bay also. I don't list shipping charges as they vary as to distance shipped. If bidder asks in advance and sends Zip Code I can tell him/her the cost. It is not fair to put a flat rate and have some one 300 miles away to pay same as one 2000 miles away. I pack so well that nothing has ever been damaged. I drive 10 miles into town to ship. For this I add $2. Had one person complain because he bid $3 on a heavy item worth many times more, and complained about $8 shipping. I have no control over UPS prices. I told him if he would have bid $70 the shipping would have been the same. I have 100 percent good reviews and most say "WOW what a packing job" WW
(Warren) wrote:

Which is why eBay provides a "Shipping Calculator" which you can add to your listings (look for that the next time you sell something). You put in what method(s) you will ship by, and the amount of any handling fees that you charge. The shipping calculator appears as part of your listing, and potential bidders can get an accurate quote for shipping without having to email you.
Here's an example. Scroll down toward the bottom of the listing, and you'll see the calculator.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemC05254129

Some sellers do try to get a little extra gravy by inflating their shipping costs, but ebay does frown upon that.
As somebody who's sold a lot of stuff via ebay, I can say that the real shipping costs usually end up being more than I feel they should. If I were shipping a plane, say, I'd take it down to the UPS store and say "ship this to so-and-so...". They'd get out a box for it (there's about $2-$3) and then maybe wrap it in bubble-wrap (another few bucks) and then top the box off with foam peanuts (which sometimes seem to cost about a buck per peanut). I'd expect to have to fork over about $20 to pack/ship a simple plane to someone. And keep in mind that about $12-$14 of that goes toward the actual shipping.
- Joe

There's ALWAYS handling charges...whether charged or not. How do you think the thing gets put into the shipping container?...and gets to the shipper?

Yes...you should get the exact S&H charges...not just shipping charges...and add that to your bid. If the S&H seems too high to you, simply don't bid.
I generally charge at least $5-$10 extra for handling...often more. This is to cover the cost of the container, tape, wear and tear on my car or truck, insurance...ANYTHING associated with getting the package to the purchaser.
Watch QVC some night...pay attention to the shipping charge in relation to the price of the item.
Also, don't forget that the sale might also be taxable in some cases. That fact is usually stated as a separate item.
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.
Hi Trent...
Be careful on using the "taxable" argument to justify buying On-line...you may skip the "sales tax" charged by the seller, but then YOU are responsible for paying a "use" tax (same thing other than it shifts from them to you). More and more states are putting a line on their income tax returns for you to "ante up". Lie to that one and everything else you lied on in your return is vulnerable.
We ain't in Kansas anymore Toto...

is
me,
mention
*exact*
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 02:34:11 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"

How can you skip sales tax charged by the seller? If he charges you, you must pay his bill...or he won't ship the item.

That's not always true...especially on interstate sales.
For instance, if I'm in business in Kansas...and I sell to someone who lives in Kansas...as the vendor, I'm responsible for the sales tax. Its always assumed that the sales tax is included in the selling price...if its not itemized that way.
When the state does an audit...if they catch it...they will list it as sales tax due...from the seller. Its always assumed that the purchaser has paid the sales tax.
This becomes very important with cash sales...where the state has no way to collect the money from the purchaser.

Yeah...I've heard that! I'll hafta look into it someday. lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

It certainly is in CT. They go as far as making you enter a "0" on a line on your 1040-CT, if you claim no out of state purchases. Leaving the line blank gets your return rejected, entering a "0" and getting caught adds intent to the filer's tax fraud charges, erasing claims of forgetting.
If the seller is out of state and dosen't collect the tax, the resident is required to submit it.
I'm sure this goes state by state.
Barry
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 11:11:07 GMT, B a r r y

I meant to say 'intrastate sales', Barry...sorry.
But my example was correct...seller and buyer in Kansas.