Butt joint : Beginner question

Hello all, Beginner, so please be gentle....

I just put up some paint-grade crown molding and base molding. I have a few butt joints to fill. My concern is if I use filler, it will fall out if the wood shrinks, etc. I would like to have a smooth finish at the joints, so I prefer not to caulk them. Your advice is appreciated.

Like I wrote, a beginner here. Doing the work myself was a great learning experience. Thank you.

Reply to
Jack

Hi Jack,

You might try Minwax 'high performance' wood filler. It is a two part filler that has a working time of

15-20 minutes (when mixed).

I have used this several times on difficult joints that will be painted. It works well and can be sanded almost immediately. If you work carefully, it blends seamlessly and the joint disappears.

Also, it is extremely hard and won't shrink.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Just an fyi for you.

Instead of making butt joints - do a quick 45 on each side of the joint (a small scarf joint) Makes the seam just about invisible w/ no putty.

Reply to
Rob V

Next time use a scarf joint. Use a caulk that remains flexible, but you have to expect molding to move over time. Base molding is not so bad, but crown molding is always there for everybody to see.

Reply to
Phisherman

I agree with the above posts, scarf joint (some use 45 and others use 22

1/2) and a little flexible caulk> Hello all,
Reply to
Mark L.