Butt joint : Beginner question

Hello all, Beginner, so please be gentle....
I just put up some paint-grade crown molding and base molding. I have a few butt joints to fill. My concern is if I use filler, it will fall out if the wood shrinks, etc. I would like to have a smooth finish at the joints, so I prefer not to caulk them. Your advice is appreciated.
Like I wrote, a beginner here. Doing the work myself was a great learning experience. Thank you.
Hi Jack,
You might try Minwax 'high performance' wood filler. It is a two part filler that has a working time of 15-20 minutes (when mixed).
I have used this several times on difficult joints that will be painted. It works well and can be sanded almost immediately. If you work carefully, it blends seamlessly and the joint disappears.
Also, it is extremely hard and won't shrink.
Lou

Just an fyi for you.
Instead of making butt joints - do a quick 45 on each side of the joint (a small scarf joint) Makes the seam just about invisible w/ no putty.

few
the

Next time use a scarf joint. Use a caulk that remains flexible, but you have to expect molding to move over time. Base molding is not so bad, but crown molding is always there for everybody to see.
I agree with the above posts, scarf joint (some use 45 and others use 22 1/2) and a little flexible caulking will work. If you don't want to go with the scarf joints, at least use latex (paintable) caulk, it will never fall out.                        Mark L.