Burning with my sander?

I have a 12" delta table top disc sander with some very rough sandpaper on it. I bought it from a friend when he moved.

I really like it for rough sanding, but quite often it burns the wood. How do I eliminate this?

Bill voice 401 849 1905 x11 Fax 401 848 7540 snipped-for-privacy@digsig.com

This email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material. This email is intended for the use of the addressee only. Any unauthorized use may be unlawful. If you receive this email by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software. You should be aware that the contents of this email may be monitored to ensure compliance with the Meggitt IT user policy.

Reply to
Bill

Less pressure and move the working surface of contact more rapidly. Some woods (particularly harder species such as cherry and maple) are notoriously easy to burn.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Sand for just a few seconds, back the wood off to let it cool for another few seconds, repeat. This is especially helpful on end grain.

Will

Reply to
NorthIdahoWWer

Fresh sand paper, low pressure, short "pressure periods" and an abrasive cleaner block to keep the paper clean..

Most burning on a disk sander (and most folks burn wood at first on one) is caused by too much pressure on the disk and clogged sandpaper... both contribute to heat buildup..

As in all other types of sanding, use light pressure against the disk.. let the paper do the work..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

If possible, slowing the rotational speed can also help...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth