Budget jointer recommendations?

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
I'm looking for a "budget" jointer, I was wondering if anyone has any current recommendations. So far I'm considering:
$130 Delta JT-160 6" x 30" benchtop jointer from Lowe's $220 Harbor Freight 31849 7" x 47.5" floor jointer
Is a benchtop jointer really serviceable? Will the Harbor Freight jointer have flat tables?
Thanks, Wayne
Wayne Whitney wrote:

What kind of wood will you be working with?
Will you be simply edging the wood or trying to flatten hardwood that is the full six inches wide?
These might be ok for edging and maybe even flattening softwoods but don't expect to flatten six inch wide hard maple (unless you take microscopic cuts).
TWS
If you do a google search you will find the HF jointer is asked about weekly.
I had a JT160 and found the reviews of it on Amazon were pretty accurate. Unless you simply have no room, avoid it. If you really have no room, it sorta works. I traded up to a used JT360; eventhough I have no place to put it.
Don't do the benchtop thing, Unless you don't ever plan on joining any wood over 30 inches or so. Even then they can be a pain to keep aligned. I don't know if for $220 or less you'll find what your looking for unless you can get it used.
Joey

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageG298&category=1,41182,48944&cc urrency=2&SID watch the wrap.
patriarch < wrote:

Oh yeah, and takes up far less floor space too. Pleasing sound as well...
TWS
Heh, my Stanley #7 only ran me about $60. Granted, it took a few hours to get it up to snuff. :^)
JK
patriarch < wrote:

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research

It doesn't leave planer marks either.
--
Smert' spamionam

calmly ranted:

Rob Lee's $300 model is nice, but crowbars are crowbars. #7 it is.
------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online -------------------------------------------------------------

On the basis that bigger is better, I'll suggest a #8. IIRC, mine was $75 including shipping.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageG298&category=1,41182,48944&cc
Hold on! Canada runs on 50Hz, right? So be careful about plugging this thing in!

No, that's in Yourup Canada is the same as us, but considering the exchange rate, they'd have to spin the turbines at about 4640 rpm to give us 60 Hz.
Patience is helpful - I recently got a very nice Canada made 6" General on e**** for $350 - had to drive a couple of hours to pick it up, but it was very much worth it. It also depends on how wide and long you need it. The old Rockwell/Delta or Delta Homecraft 4" jointers can be just fine, and can often be found for under $100. Add a 3/4 hp motor and you can do a lot of nice work - and they will most likely last another hundred years. I have seen a lot of nice work come out of small shops with only a 4" jointer. But do avoid the junk that is currently on the market - if it looks like a cheap toy, most likely it is, and you won't be happy when you get it, and it will only get worse. Best advice is to stick with the old iron. Cheers and much sawdust
Spoefish
Patience is helpful - I recently got a very nice Canada made 6" General on e**** for $350 - had to drive a couple of hours to pick it up, but it was very much worth it. It also depends on how wide and long you need it. The old Rockwell/Delta or Delta Homecraft 4" jointers can be just fine, and can often be found for under $100. Add a 3/4 hp motor and you can do a lot of nice work - and they will most likely last another hundred years. I have seen a lot of nice work come out of small shops with only a 4" jointer. But do avoid the junk that is currently on the market - if it looks like a cheap toy, most likely it is, and you won't be happy when you get it, and it will only get worse. Best advice is to stick with the old iron. Cheers and much sawdust
Spoefish

I, too, was looking for a jointer without spending a wad of cash. Just yesterday, while cruising my local classifieds (online), I found a Ridgid JPO610 (well reviewed in FWW) for $250. Fortunately, SWMBO hadn't yet ordered the iPod she promised for my birthday last week. I'm picking it up this weekend. With a little looking, there are good values on the used market.
Ian

If you haven't bought it yet... last week I saw them in HD for $350 with a $50 cash card. If I had just bought a used JT360 for $200 I would have been all over it.

Didn't the Ridgid cash card deal end August 31? Does anyone happen to know the Home Depot SKU on Ridgid JP0610? The stores around here don't seem to carry them.
Cheers, Wayne
toller wrote:

If you're still in the Bay Area (I noted the berkeley.edu address), I think the one stashed in the back corner of the tool corral in the Concord store may still be there, all nicely boxed and dusty.
The Veritas #6 handplane will still do a wider board, though. ;-)
Patriarch
Be patient: Wait and find something local if you want to save some money. Try the local classifieds, garage sale ads, and the like. I live is a smaller town and still found a nice late 40's 6" Delta with 4 sets of Rockwell knives for $50 after 2 weeks of active research. While you wait, go the library and get a decent book which explains the jointer tuning process. This will help you decide what kind you want.
Re: HF jointers. I've been to the store and didn't like em one bit. There are a couple of good jointers between HF and the Delta. Depending on where you live they might be an option if you want new or can't wait. DAGS.
Good luck!
I've used the Delta 37-070 variable speed benchtop jointer for a few years with very satisfactory results. I've turned out a dozen or so pieces of furniture out of white oak -- pretty sturdy stuff -- and this jointer handled the task well. I'm "careful" with long pieces, up to 5' or so, and they turn out straight. Almost everything I do is limited to about 2" since, for wider surfaces, I use a surface plane.
Jim Stuyck