Brazilian Rosewood

Page 2 of 2

So it's an ironwood. Wouldn't it be better than cocbolo, for strengths against check(ing)? Better for chisel handles?
Alex

against check(ing)? Better for chisel handles?
***** They are all "ironwoods". Depends also on what you want in a chisel handle.
I have always been perferctly happy with hornbeam handles. PvR

******** Only place it ever has been found. PvR

the problem is none is available. So I would like some possible recommendation for a similar type of wood . The project involves wooden gears. So stability is important. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
******** Lot of options Also look at Platymiscium species. PvR
Gordon Menzies wrote:

Apple is traditional for gears but there are some tricks to using it. Mesquite is stable, hard, strong, pretty good across the board, and available at reasonable prices but it has a relatively open grain structure that might or might not affect the performance of whatever you're making.
Google "wood selector"--there are several online--and plug in "stable", "hard" and whatever else you think you'll need and you'll find some good suggestions.

--
--John