brad versus pin nailer - specific use

Am putting up some self made molding, with the molding having a 1/4" rabbit, rouhly 3/8" wide, that needs to be fastened to a previous layer of 1/4" plywood. The molding is made of 1"x13/4" ash and aspen,prefinsihed.
How far from the edge do I have to shoot the nail (18 gauge, 2") before I have to worry about it blowing out the side? The grain is farly neutral, so I would like to shoot through the rabbit, and will be using construction glue to attach the "unrabbited" balance of the molding. Hope this is making sense.
The ohter option is a 23 gauge pin nailer, but I would have to buy one. Thoughts?

Not sure that you are asking a question here that couldn't be better answered by a few trials.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Hard to say with out doing some experimenting. That said, the pinner will work well and will not leave big holes to be filled. My pinner sees more action than my brand nail gun.

That's a no brainer. The solution that requirs a new toy..er..tool is always the correct one <g>
Bill

OP
I brought a cheap HF 23 gauge pin nailer, which turned out to be used but sold as new. Stuck with my 18 gauge - good job, one blowout. I nailed perpendicular to the grain so it would cut through versus parallel where it would slice and be more prone to blowout. Looked this trick up in Google - a million and one uses..