Borg discount sale - who else DIDN'T buy?

Page 1 of 2
I went to look the stuff over. I have little room and less money for tools recently. I was influenced by someone's description of the Ryobi spindle sander.
The HB near here had it, but I thought it looked like plastic cheese and passed it up :-)
Aw nuts, my major tool-collecting days have ended. Just don't have the garage-filling impulse any more. Lordy, what's happening to me!?
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com http://jcanning.breck.org
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Not quite as sad a tale as yours, but I did not partake in the 20% off madness either. There is nothing I need (right now), and to have spent time in looking at things I might need would have taken precious time away from shop time building the drawer units I am making for my workbench. I need more storage space worse than more tools.
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:58:26 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Same here. Nothing I need, at least nothing HD or Lowes would carry and I don't buy tools just to buy tools.
Now if they sold major brand stationary tools, I would have gone broke. But I couldn't think of anything else I wanted bad enough to go spend the 80% remaining in the price. I'll probably wish I'd bought that finish nailer I want someday, but that can wait.
Bob

There's lots of tools I'd like to have but nothing I really *need*. I'm saving up for the vacation and a little lumber buying spree when I get there. After the wood hoard is more built up, maybe I'll look at it and think of a project that needs a new tool, about the time of the next sale.
But this one I had to pass up.
Dan
Know the feeling, I didn't even bother to look ... about the only thing I covet these days is a vacuum press and a drum sander, but knew I wouldn't find them there, and don't have the room anyway.
I can still go into acquire-itis looking at a Lee Valley catalog though, so the spark ain't totally out.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/21/03

It's getting harder and harder to get that feeling as I fill all available space with various tools. Kind of like a drug addiction, after a while it takes more <unique> to get that 'buzz.' Since acquiring a PC 557, the Borg is pretty banal these days.

Highland Hardware still gets me off, along with Rockler's hardware...
And of course, anything that ain't jummywood. <g>
Had an arborist prune a big white oak tree in the yard and the branches removed were 12" in diameter. Since *real* wood is so expensive here, I had them leave a couple of 3' pieces. I'm working on turning them into usable wood. This is a first shot at milling my own lumber and I hope a bandsaw, planer, and joiner are enough. If it works out, I may go salvage trees from the locality before the developers cut them all down. Cheap wood - now THAT excites me!
Greg G.
Uh, limbs are not what you want to make into lumber, unless you're going thick. Loaded with reaction wood, and going to twist and squirm. Pretty much why they leave the limbs in the woods.
Got a lathe?
<Greg G.> wrote in message

George thus spake:

I don't expect to get furniture grade wood from them, it's just an experiment - but by the same token, it is the butt of a HUGE branch. We'll see, I'm still waiting on it to dry out. Mostly it is for the experience and to see if it CAN be done effectively with shop tools.

Not yet. <g> SWMBO really likes those turned bowls and stuff. Hard to justify a grand for a bowl, however. She thinks I could sell them, I'm not so certain... Sure looks like fun, though!
Greg G.
I did not buy though I've been looking at a couple things.
My wife put a big box under the tree with my name on it. It is possibly a power tool of some kind but with all my quizing I can't figure out what it might be.
As a result I don't dare buy anyting that comes in a box at least 2x2x2 (approximate). I've gotten in trouble in the past by buying things close to my birthday or christmas only to hear comments from the 'high commander' that she had to take something back and find something else. (PS she hates being called the 'high commander').
brocpuffs wrote:

Could be the Ryobi spindle sander. That sounds about right sizewise.
Brian.

Could be I tried to query her about what was in the box but last year when she gave me a lathe with a 40 inch bed she responded no to the large power tool question.
Brian wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:30:30 GMT, william kossack

Nothing this time. Christmas and all that.
I got my Bessy's back in the gift card promo, which led to this conversation.
"Don't know why you spent $35 a piece on clamps."
*Miraculously, I only need TWO hands to do a panel glue up instead of the five I needed with pipe clamps*
"Those are NICE clamps. Great price too . . . "
Ditto ...
Thanks to that promo I now have enough Bessey's to be comfortable with most of the glue-ups I do, if that's possible. Did notice that a pin on the end of one keeps falling out ... luck would have it it's one where the receipt went to qualify for the gift card. I'll wait till the holiday shopping is over and see if I can get it exchanged ... meanwhile, taped the pin in and it doesn't seem to have any functional downside.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/21/03
Brian wrote:

I thought the same thing about the Ryobi OSS, but I bought it anyway, even at the full price of $99. It is a total kick-ass tool. I've used it on about a dozen projects and it doesn't miss a beat. The dust collection port even works - and that's using my shop-vac. I don't usually go for Ryobi stuff, but sometimes budgets = compromises. You made a big mistake not buying it at 20% off :-)
Mike

Unfortunately we only have the orange borg here in Minnesota and nothing really jumped out at me, so I consoled my self with ordering the Hitachi M12V Router from Amazon for $135 with the free shipping. The old crapsman 1 hp with the 1/4 collect just doesn't cut it anymore.
-- John, in Minnesota
Well, I got my Hitachi last week. Excellent! For the first few passes. I have it mounted in a table. I went to turn it on today and it didn't come on. I thought I may have knocked the cord lose, but nope, still in good and tight. Then thought I may have hit the switch. Just as I went to turn it off and back on, it started up. Half way through rounding over a piece, it shut down then fired back up. I kinda tapped on the switch mechanism and it went off and on a couple times. What I'm wondering is if I got a bad router, a bad switch, or is it because I have it mounted in a table upside down. I'll take it out tomorrow and give it the once over, but any feedback from other users would be helpful.
--
This space for rent.
Jerry The Phoneman
brocpuffs wrote:

I skipped the sale as well. My wife asked for my wish list before Thanksgiving. If I had bought anything a week before Christmas I'd probably be sleeping in the garage.