http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324469304578145753792576048.html
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

+1
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
On Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:27:51 AM UTC-6, Han wrote:

Neat effect. A project, with that lumber, would need to be specific for the blue color, IMO. Don't know if I would want bluish kitchen cabinets.
I once had similarly "stained" boards, though not as pretty as those, after having 4 pine logs milled. I didn't wash the sawdust off, before stickering to air dry. The wet sawdust, remaining on the boards, molded/mildewed and stained the boards a mix of blue, bluish-gray, gray and some black, per board.... not pretty, at all. Lesson learned: Wash the sawdust off your milled lumber before stickering. Sonny

Probably works in CO due to the influx of urban raised transplants who have their first taste of "country cool", but, as most fads, it won't last long, as those who frequently declare/change the latest fashions for profit will move the fickle herd onto something else in time for their next magazine cycle.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 12/1/12 7:30 AM, Swingman wrote:

Interesting. Two thoughts.... - I see a lot of blue streaking like that in pine 2x lumber in the big box stores around here... never knew it was a fungus. I assure you, it paints as well as cherry. :-)
- As with many other misguided "green" trends, they are building "green" caskets out of the stuff. If you really want to die green, just bury yourself in the ground, so casket, no embalming chemicals, just naked flesh and let the worms do their work. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 12/1/12 7:30 AM, Swingman wrote:

Interesting. Two thoughts.... - I see a lot of blue streaking like that in pine 2x lumber in the big box stores around here... never knew it was a fungus. I assure you, it paints as well as cherry. :-)
- As with many other misguided "green" trends, they are building "green" caskets out of the stuff. If you really want to die green, just bury yourself in the ground, so casket, no embalming chemicals, just naked flesh and let the worms do their work. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Marketing genius....! When my son and I rode our bicycles from LaJunta, CO to Pasco, WA it was a bit disconcerting to see the huge quantities of dead trees. In one area a forest fire has reportedly been allowed to burn for years to deal with the dead trees and perhaps slow down the spread of the beetles. There is a LOT of damaged timber and by making the blue wood a feature they have taken something that would have previously been rejected as defective and made it desirable!

Lots available in British Columbia, too.
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.
On 12/1/2012 7:30 AM, Swingman wrote:

Swingman;2970260 Wrote: > 'In Colorado, Beetles Create Decor Trend - WSJ.com' > (
http://tinyurl.com/d2gupng )

Who knew that beetle stains can still make wonders and huge sales for those guys. Blue wood hasn't been that much popular because it's often called a stained wood and we always want those good looking wood for our projects but look at how good they are when turned into furniture. I like the idea that they placed a beetle in their project to pay tribute to the one that made the blue wood that way. - yve
--
yve lynch