Blade Test Redux

Page 1 of 2

While I loved the comments about the Forrest WWII, I did not get a lot of response to my original quesiton.
So, since I am the curious sort, will one of you with a Forrest WWII, and a talent for evaluation, allow me to send a 50tooth HF blade to you, you run the comparison test and give a report to the group?
I ask this for two reason, some of us are on a tight budget and for us a Forrest WWII would be a serious stretch. Also, if this blade compares as I think it will, it will be a good option for those of us on a tight budget, since it costs about half what you are speniding on resharpening.
Thanks
Deb
On 5/15/2012 7:29 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

Absolutely. I was totally satisfied with a Freud blade I had been using. A birthday was approaching and on an impulse I added a Forrest WWII to my wish list at Amazon. To my delight I received the blade. I wish I had bought one when I first heard of them. I have a brand new, unused Freud. I would be glad to test all three blades.
Max

I've been happy with the Freud Diablo blades (have dulled a few), but I might have to give a WWII a try sometime soon. You guys are good at spending my money, it's a good thing I don't take every suggestion!
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Max wrote:

Thank you! There are probably lots of us that are curious about the results (how can one trust magazine reviewers, for instance)!
Bill
On 5/15/12 8:29 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

I suppose you could just paypal someone $25 and they could buy the blade and try it out. HF has a 100% satisfaction return policy, so whoever does it could just return it if they don't want to keep it and send you *some* of the money back. :-)
In any case, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. HF blades are hit or miss. Someone may test the blade for you and it could do great, but there's a chance that none of the stock at your store is any good and you got a poor blade.... or vice versa.
--

-MIKE-

On 5/15/2012 11:56 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Actually, he could do the same himself buy a Forrest at Woodcraft and take it back if he does not like the blade.
On 5/16/2012 7:13 AM, Leon wrote:

The chances of that are slim to none ... rarely does a Forrest owner go back. That said, I'm also very happy with my Freud Glue-Line Rip and Dial-a-Width dado stack.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 5/16/12 9:15 AM, Swingman wrote:

me, too
--

-MIKE-

On 5/16/2012 10:08 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have the Freud Glue-Line Rip blade as well. Very nice, and way less money than a Forrest.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

I concur. Been cutting 8/4 alder, and it's a great blade.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

I agree with Karl. I have all three of the blades that he does and love them all. Freud is a very good buy, but I still use me WWII for 90% of the cutting I do.
On 5/16/12 7:13 AM, Leon wrote:

Great idea. Please buy it at my local store so I can buy it after you return it, for 20% off. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Leon wrote:

FWIW, I think the idea of buying anything like this with the intent of "Returning it if you don't like it", when you you know in advance you'll be returning it, is unethical--not that anyone here would do that. Its a punch in the nose to a company comes out with an evidentaly good product. And (sorry to state the obvious, as some seem a bit sensitive to that), it raises the companies costs for the product, which will surely be passed on to other fellow woodworkers.
Admittedly, I am a bit sensitive to this sort of thing because I had a relative who did it a great deal (I call it "angle-shooting"). At least she never did the "wear a dress" and return it thing, which I understand is or was popular.
Bill
On 5/16/12 10:07 AM, Bill wrote:

I've preached that in here before. I think there's a difference in habitually buying & returning things to in essence get free rental on them, and buying & returning things for evaluation. In the case of HF, their explicit 100% satisfaction return policy *plus* the seriously suspect quality of everything they sell automatically sets my mind to the default setting of "I'm most likely going to return this" for every purchase I make. Their lack of quality sets up a return/keep ration of probably 3:1 for me. That's the only store that is like that. I never buy anything from any other store *expecting* to return it.
Also... in the specific case of the OP.... everybody posting to this thread who has used Forrest blades knows that anyone who buys one *isn't* going to return it. So it's kind of a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" dare of sorts.
--

-MIKE-

actually HF is starting to not accept things without a receipt or if 90 days old.
I bought something that was defective (a 24 compartement box) it was 90 days old, but everytime I went back they didn't have them in stock, and because I bought it on sale I wanted the sale price. They refused to exchange it, even though it was unopened.
I also went to replace a hand tool (c clip ) type pliers that the points had bent on . 12-14 years old... they wanted a receipt, wouldn't replace them without it.
So much for the 100% guarantee on hand tools, or satisfaction guarantee.
On 5/16/2012 11:21 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

On 5/16/12 11:32 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

"starting to?" No, that's been their *written* policy since the start.

Again, I don't see the issue. Their very customer-friendly return policy is very clearly stated in or on everything they sell and on big posters in every store.
--

-MIKE-

On 5/16/2012 1:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

in the past without a receipt. They also exchanged items over 90 days unopened in the past with a receipt. They now won't exchange, I didn't ask for a refund, just an exchange.
As far as tools that are old, I guess they expect you to keep the receipts forever. So lifetime means you keep your receipt for the lifetime.

On 5/16/2012 12:34 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Exactly, you can't blame them for want to make sure they were paid in the first place. Not unusual for stuff like that to walk right out the door.
On 5/16/12 12:34 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

So because some store clerk/manager went above and beyond and broke store policy to help you out, you now expect them to do it every time? Wow. Entitled much? :-p

I don't know why it's so difficult to have a file folder with tool receipts. If you reeeeely feel 12 years isn't enough mileage from an 8 dollar wrench, then spend another 40 cents on a file folder.
--

-MIKE-

On 5/16/2012 1:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

+1