Black Walnut burl

I just dug up a 5oyo burl from a black walnut tree. I'm told its very valuable. Does anyone know how much I should ask for it? It's so big that my teenage son and I can't lift it out of the hole.

diy girl

Reply to
m_vielleux

Call your local sawmill and see if they want to buy it.

Reply to
spineemike

It might be somewhat valuable but it's worth nothing until you can find someone to buy it. Most sawyers don't want to deal with singles, especially harvested from a yard or field, especially if it came from underground. Too much chance of imbeded metal or rock and not enough volume to make it worth cutting. I'd check with local turning clubs. One tip. Cover the exposed raw wood with anchorseal/paint/wax/etc. to keep it from checking. If it cracks it will be worth significantly less, if anything. Sorry to have to say that you didn't hit it big. If you can sell it for turning blanks you might get a couple hundred, depending on size, quality, and condition. You also might get much less or nothing at all.

Reply to
lmlitwin

What is 5oyo?

Don't know where you are, but I would list it in Craigslist. I saw your listing I would want to come out to see it.

Reply to
Toller

the fact that you and your teenage son would even attempt to lift it out of the hole tells me it's not very big. i've got a couple black walnut stumps here that myself with my forklift can hardly lift and these are already out of the hole. ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

If just means they aren't huge. Two people ought to be able to get a burl large enough to be valuable out.

Reply to
Toller