Looking for a buyer of our black walnut tree with 7. 5’ burl

Looking for a buyer to cut and buy our black Walnut tree. The diameter is 7 .5?. Based in Turlock ca

Reply to
ariannenicol1977

I'm no expert but I don't think you'll find many or any to "pay" you to do all the labor work and remove regardless of the type of tree. Then again, it may depend what you're asking and if the person doing the work is in the woodworking business.

Reply to
Hawk

I doubt that a 7.5" diameter tree will provide much, if any, usable lumber.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Wood turners might be interested. Contact a nearby woodturning club.

Reply to
swalker

On 1/21/2020 10:46 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote: ...

First post says is 7.5 FT diameter...that's towards the upper end of a walnut so if is really so and there's any clean trunk at all it _could_ potentially be worth a great deal. Even if it's 7.5' circumference, that's a fair mature walnut in a stand at ~30" diameter.

Picture would help...

Reply to
dpb

Given the location, sounds more like Claro walnut than Black walnut.

These guys will take it:

Although I see they're retiring. Time to stop by and raid the retirement sale :-)

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

(The OP used some funky unicode for the apostrophe, and my usenet client showed the octal codes...)

Yeah, my dad made three grandfather clocks from his Walnut tree; somewhere between 18 and 20" diameter with about 16 clear feet from the trunk.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The subject line says "black walnut tree with 7.5? burl" The text says "...buy our black Walnut tree. The diameter is 7.5?."

What is 7.5'? The diameter of the tree or the burl?

Not that I'm planning on buying it, some clarification would be nice anyway .

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If it is 7.5 feet, that make circumference about 23.5 feet. I have a red oak that is about 4 foot diameter that measures 12 foot 7 inches.

Yep pictures would help allot. But I am not driving out to California. Maybe someone like Hearne Hardwoods would.

Markem

I was going to say that another possibility would be the Jerome Lumber Company in Jerome, AZ. 700 miles from Tulock, CA. I met the owner while on vacation a couple of years ago. He had some huge slabs and burls in his shop. Unfortunately, his face book page says the he developed a severe wood allergy and had to close his shop back in 2019. He was still selling off his stuff as of then.

That's gotta suck. He used to go up into the high country and cut down/mill Juniper and other trees for his shop. I hope he found something satisfying to fill his time. You can see his work (and wood) here. You don't need a FB account to see the pictures.

DerbyDad03

But why would he pay someone to chop their tree when he was able to get what he needed in the high country. Especially traveling 700 miles.

Reply to
Hawk

Wasn't it you that said: "...it may depend what you're asking and if the person doing the work is in the woodworking business."? Seems to fit this case, at least in that regard.

As I'm sure you know, different parts of the country have different types of trees. It's been a few years, but I recall that he was telling me that the type of juniper he liked only grew above X feet and within stands of pinyon pines. I don't recall the exact elevation, but apparently it was important to him.

If this guy is (was) that particular about his wood, travelling to score a huge black walnut that perhaps he can't find nearby might be worth the drive. The OP did mention "burl" and this guy seems to like his burls.

Couple the trip with some sightseeing and you've got a vacation you can write off as a business expense. ;-)

Pure speculation on my part, but that could certainly answer your "why would he" question.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have some Brazilian mesquite tree trimmings out front that are to small for firewood. Looking for competitive bids to buy them. Already removed from trees.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Get a chipper, make "artisanal" wood for smoking

Reply to
Markem

You don't want to waste a burl that way.

Reply to
J. Clarke

r is 7.5?. Based in Turlock ca

Reminds me of Fargo. You'd need a big chipper for this burl.

DerbyDad03

+1000
Reply to
Markem

Yes, but he traveled to areas where the trees are free, but I stand corrected, if that price is right, then maybe.

Reply to
Hawk